• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

How the flip does this optical illusion work?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How the flip does this optical illusion work?

https://twitter.com/gunsnrosesgirl3/...10831867105284

The cubes don't actually move at all, but appear to drift and rotate!

The effect is the same if one covers the direction arrows with a finger. So it isn't a case of them tricking the brain by suggestion.

Ditto if one entire cube is covered or one eye watching them. So it can't be some stereo effect.

I can only assume there are minute delays, of the order of 1/20th second, in the relative timing of the flashing sides. But how would that account for rotations?
    Last edited by OwlHoot; 29 December 2021, 08:55.
    Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Really weird! Laid random progs over top to check they are not moving. If one could take a video and slow it down would see how the edges are scrolling.
    bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
    John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

The black and white flashing animation of the lines is different for each illusion. How they differ is hard to tell

Comment

Originally posted by Fraidycat View Post
        The black and white flashing animation of the lines is different for each illusion. How they differ is hard to tell
        That must be right, no question. But as Xog says one would have to slow down the video to see what is going on.

I suspect there is a tiny time lag in brightness levels rippling down suitable combinations of sides.
        Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

You can stop it randomly for each section of the frame it is either black with a thin white stripe on one side or white with a thin black stripe on the same side. The second cube has the thin stripe on the opposite side.

It seems to be strobing the split colours on the frame gives the illusion of movement.
          I'm alright Jack

Comment

That's a good one.
            I always like the colour shading illusions as well - however hard you look, I find it
            impossible to reconcile. Here's a simple example - you can just cover the gap between the two sides to see that they are both identical shades of grey:

Click image for larger version  Name:	identical-colors-big.jpg Views:	0 Size:	60.0 KB ID:	4197945

This dog one is even harder to reconcile, for me at least (they're the same, of course):

Click image for larger version  Name:	yellow-blue-dogs-big.jpg Views:	0 Size:	42.2 KB ID:	4197946
            This is the famous one:
            Click image for larger version

Name:	730e5-8f67e-mbc-checker_shadow_illusion_by_butisit-d4cs46b.png
Views:	94
Size:	216.3 KB
ID:	4197948
            Last edited by mattster; 30 December 2021, 18:36.

Comment

There's one experiment I've read of where they move a dot across a screen rapidly, left to right. They change the colour just before it reaches the right, and if the speed is right the brain simply decides that the colour changed half way along.

The point is that our eyes see nothing. All the work is done in our brains, which attempt to make a coherent picture - our brains don't attempt to show reality.
              Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
                There's one experiment I've read of where they move a dot across a screen rapidly, left to right. They change the colour just before it reaches the right, and if the speed is right the brain simply decides that the colour changed half way along.

The point is that our eyes see nothing. All the work is done in our brains, which attempt to make a coherent picture - our brains don't attempt to show reality.
                Yes - our perception of reality is merely a guided hallucination, or something like that..

Comment

Working...
                X