• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Webb launch set for Christmas Day

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Update: Santa has been destroyed by the range safety officer.

xkcd.com
    Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by GJABS View Post
      Hope they didn't leave the lens cap on!
      Hope they didn't measure the diameter of one mirror in metres and another in fathoms, like last time with the Hubble!
      Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

First image already in:

Click image for larger version

Name:	270637846_10220382130531246_2706663097853264729_n.jpg?_nc_cat=100&ccb=1-5&_nc_sid=8bfeb9&_nc_ohc=xbLb4Km7QhMAX9kHaoE&_nc_oc=AQn__YHfZdoqnLV8K_DtuBh8Qu2EgJE7eSc8Fz5rGQENtIh6Qx6MSoDd5LvZK5oeZh4&_nc_ht=scontent-frx5-1.xx&oh=00_AT-pP_l
Views:	141
Size:	244.2 KB
ID:	4197623
        Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

This seems to all be going pretty well so far (touch wood). More than 75% of "single point failure" operations completed successfully so far, with just the deployment of the primary mirrors to come over the next two days, then the L2 insertion burn and 5 months of calibration! Worth noting that they have a "functional" telescope now, even if the primary mirror wings were to fail to deploy.

More here: https://webb.nasa.gov/content/webbLa...tExplorer.html

Comment

I was at the Hubble launch and was sent to ESTEC for the when the first images came through. Pretty spectacular at the time, very impressive. I've been told that this time you can get them at home as long as you've had your booster vaccine....
            Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

""Nasa engineers yesterday completed the final unfolding of the huge primary mirror of the agency’s James Webb space telescope. The manoeuvre was the final step of the $10bn observatory’s two-week deployment phase that began with its launch on Christmas Day.

https://www.theguardian.com/science/...pace-telescope

Comment

Excellent news. They will probably spot god having a .....
                bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
                John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Well it's made it to L2 and the bits and bobs have been unfolded.

Now time to focus those mirrors and get testing!

Comment

Really pretty amazing to avoid any hitches so far. One assumes that from this point (or soon) it already starts having some usability even if everything doesn't go perfectly?
                    Originally posted by MaryPoppins
                    I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
                    Originally posted by vetran
                    Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Working...
                    X