• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

So, anyone watch the F1 yesterday?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm a very casual fan nowadays, but I've been following the season from afar and did actually get some time to watch the race.

I'm not a huge Lewis fan at times, but I don't see how anybody can see that as a fair win for Verstappen. At the very least, even if you accept the mantra of "thems the breaks" or whatever, it seems undeniable that Lewis outdrove Max, was in a huge position of strength and the race was his to lose. No way was Max getting past the traffic, shaving off 11 seconds and overtaking Lewis.

Definitely contrived and the race should have ended under the safety car or being flagged.

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post

But I wondered what others, especially more casual viewers thought?
      I fit into that category - used to watch it a bit years ago, so some idea of what is going on, but haven't really taken an interest for a while. I did sit down to watch yesterday given the hype, and agree with everything you say. If the rules of a sport can be made up as you go along (all while the bosses of opposing teams are shouting in your ear) then it is not really a fair sporting contest IMO - especially if those rules are being made up to produce more exciting TV. The call on the final lap essentially made the decision that Max would win, and if he'd called it the other way (finish under SC), he would have made the decision that Lewis wins. Neither is great, tbh, but Lewis had controlled that race and the tactic to stay on hards and miss a stop had worked (or would have), if only just. I would go along with the view that Max probably deserved the title, but Lewis deserved the race yesterday.

My feeling generally was that it reminded me why I don't watch F1 any more. No complaints, because these rules have been around forever, but I think the whole safety car thing needs looking at again. The idea that you can be in control of a race and have that taken away from you because of an incident completely outside of your control sucks in sport. I get the jeopardy, and that these things probably iron themselves out in the long term, but surely the idea of a SC is to suspend the race safely until it can kick off again from the same position as before. Surely technology has now moved on enough to try and implement that somewhat - we know exactly how many seconds each car was from the other before the SC, so why not a staggered grid start with individual count downs for each driver, for example?

Comment

Originally posted by malvolio View Post
        Fair to say that Verstappen would not have beaten Hamilton without Massi's doubtful interpretation of the position. This season did not demand an USA-style contrived finale, it is not WWE. That said, both drivers (and not both teams, RB need to take a look at themselves) were equally worthy champions (and that from an avowed Hamilton supporter!).
        Yes. Hard to shake the feeling that the rules were made up with a view to generating exciting TV for the final lap, and you cannot run a sport that way for long until people start to put in the same category as WWE. Short term gain, maybe, but at what long term cost? It has certainly put this casual viewer off.

Comment

Originally posted by mattster View Post
          I think the whole safety car thing needs looking at again. The idea that you can be in control of a race and have that taken away from you because of an incident completely outside of your control sucks in sport. I get the jeopardy, and that these things probably iron themselves out in the long term, but surely the idea of a SC is to suspend the race safely until it can kick off again from the same position as before.
          I get your point but I quite like SC restarts generally - and standing starts after a red flag - when it doesn't totally ruin things. e.g. you pit, then there's a crash and everyone else gets a free stop.

I heard some suggestions that you shouldn't be able to pit under SC/VSC which could work - except of course this rule is partly there in case you get caught by some debris on track.

You can say the same about rain making races 'unfair' if you pitted at the wrong time... I think some element of jeopardy is all part of the fun, but there's a difference between "that's unlucky" and "we're actively choosing to engineer something".

Originally posted by MaryPoppins
          I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
          Originally posted by vetran
          Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post

You can say the same about rain making races 'unfair' if you pitted at the wrong time... I think some element of jeopardy is all part of the fun, but there's a difference between "that's unlucky" and "we're actively choosing to engineer something".
            Yes, fair enough. I think yesterday's call definitely crossed that line for me - the race director had a decision to make, which could have gone two ways, and that call basically determined who would win the race. It was never going to be a fair race for the final lap with the rubber they had on. In that situation (and that decision really shouldn't be left to one person to interpret, IMO), I would think that you make the call in favour of the driver who was in the clear lead after 90% of the race.

Comment

Tax dodging **** lost for a change, which is nice.

Comment

Perhaps they should rethink the safety car situation completely. They already have a working Plan B with the Virtual Safety Car, where positions are frozen and speeds limited (and rigidly monitored) which is far more sensible than having everyone queue up behind something with the comparative performance of a London bus and has to get out of the way at a set point. The VSC can be set to start and end where necessary, everything is on hold until it ends and questions of selective benefit go out of the window. You can also adjust the speed to suit the circumstances, even across the course of the lap.

And if the VSC can't be used (such as a track blockage) then Red Flag it immediately.
                Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
                  Tax dodging **** lost for a change, which is nice.
                  Go away, you have no idea.

He pays UK taxes on his UK earnings, which are considerable given he works for a UK-based company, but most of his income comes from outside the UK. Just like every other British racing driver.
                  Blog? What blog...?

Comment

most of his income comes from outside the UK. Just like every other British racing driver.
                    Just like me too, what a shocking coincidence!

Only difference is that I am paying full UK taxes on my world-wide income, and he ain't.

Comment

Go away, you have no idea.

He pays UK taxes on his UK earnings, which are considerable given he works for a UK-based company, but most of his income comes from outside the UK. Just like every other British racing driver.
                      Not to mention not actually living in the UK. And I rather doubt Max's situation is much different (who also lives in Monaco)

Comment

Working...
                      X