• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

DOOM: "Omicron Covid cases ‘doubling every two to three days’ in UK"

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by d000hg View Post

As an individual you are very likely to be fine. But Let's say it's 50% as dangerous but infects 10X as many... this is essentially what projections are showing which has the NHS terrified. Remember right at the start, the narrative was about smoothing/flattening the curve so we don't get all the cases at the same time. If you get seriously ill with Covid, your chances of survival are much lower if you can't get into hospital.
    Yep. Government is clearly absolutely terrified of this one and I dare say rightly so. It's not just covid care that goes if the NHS is overwhelmed, either, so the knock on effects could be unpleasant. The reality is that we are probably in needing a full lockdown territory, but I don't think they've got the guts to do it - and have no idea what compliance would be like anyway.

Comment

Mild version incoming -

""Health Secretary Sajid Javid begins his statement by telling MPs that the current number of daily infections are around 200,000.

He says Omicron will become the dominant variant in London in the next 48 hours and represents 20% of cases in England.

Hospitalisations and deaths are expected to "dramatically increase" in the next few weeks and the NHS will return to its highest level of emergency preparedness, he adds.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/live/uk-59632655

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
        Mild version incoming -
        Let's hope so, we are in a real pickle if it isn't.

What is "mild" anyway? I've known plenty of people with covid now, quite a few quite badly affected - the phrase "worst week of my life" was used by more than one. All "mild", medically - no hospitalisation or significant medical intervention. The rate Omicron is growing could see nearly half the population infected within 2 weeks, which should make for a pleasant Christmas.

Comment

There is no solid evidence it is mild, and my gut feel is that it won't be mild because it would be way too easy ending to this deadly pandemic.

Comment

There is no solid evidence it is mild, and my gut feel is that it won't be mild because it would be way too easy ending to this deadly pandemic.
            There is evidence it is mild in south africa. Has been around much longer over there. And all signs point to it being much milder than delta.

Population in SA is younger than UK, but the UK has a much higher vaccination levels so that evens things.

Virus tend to mutate to less milder versions via natural selection over time, they spread more easily that way. If symptoms are mild people go out more spread the virus more, rather than stay in bed and the virus gets less chance to reproduce.
            Last edited by Fraidycat; 13 December 2021, 18:56.

Comment

Originally posted by Fraidycat View Post
              Virus tend to mutate to less milder versions via natural selection over time, they spread more easily that way. If symptoms are mild people go out more spread the virus more, rather than stay in bed and the virus gets less chance to reproduce.
              Please stop parroting this guff, which has no basis in fact,

Comment

Originally posted by Fraidycat View Post
                Population in SA is younger than UK, but the UK has a much higher vaccination levels so that evens things.
                It evades vaccines, cretin, two shots of Pfizer are good for tulip now.

Comment

It evades vaccines, cretin, two shots of Pfizer are good for tulip now.

Two shots of AZ are even more worthless.

Comment

Originally posted by jamesbrown View Post
                    Two shots of AZ are even more worthless.
                    Hence panic.

Comment

Every time I talk to or hear of some adult having it, it appears to be linked to someone in a school in their household.

So while some poster on here pointed out kids are faking results it seems that they are actually the ones spreading it.
                      "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Working...
                      X