• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Cats Can...

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cats Can...

save your life - apparently

https://metro.co.uk/2021/11/03/ex-so...m-up-15534550/

A former soldier has described how his pet cat saved his life by clawing at his face to wake him up as a blaze ripped through his home.

Matthew Slater, 49, was still asleep as smoke billowed into his bedroom, followed closely by flames spreading from the kitchen of his property in York in the early hours of October 29.

He only became aware of the fire when his cat Weller leapt onto the bed, adding: ‘I remember trying to push her off because I thought, “What’s she doing that for?”

‘Then I opened my eyes and saw all the smoke and thought, “She’s obviously trying to get me up”.’

Mr Slater, who now works as a builder, said: ‘I believe 100% she saved my life – I would never have woken up without her.’

Despite losing consciousness several times due to smoke inhalation, he managed to dial 999 while leaning out of the first-floor window.

He recalled: ‘I was out, I was going, I was barely conscious at that time. I said to the woman on the phone, “If you’re not here in minutes, I’m gone!” – I honestly felt that bad.’

The fire brigade arrived just in time, and after kicking down the door, they brought Mr Slater to safety using their breathing equipment.

But when he got outside, he noticed Weller was missing.

He said: ‘I was telling the police, telling the fire brigade, “My cat’s in there! Get my cat!”

‘I can’t remember doing this, but apparently I tried to get back in, but they obviously stopped me. Then I got put in the ambulance, and I was just worried about her.’

Mr Slater spent five hours in hospital being treated for smoke inhalation, and it was there that police broke the sad news that Weller never made it out.

He said: ‘The police actually rang me and said, “Look, we’ve found her. She’s dead, unfortunately”.

‘She was found downstairs, so she must have found her way down there at some point.

‘The smoke had obviously got to her by then. They actually wrapped her up and put her in a box so I wouldn’t have to see her when I got home, which is nice.’

Mr Slater said he was ‘heartbroken’ when he returned home to see that ‘everything had melted’ and ‘all my possessions and everything had disappeared’.

He said: ‘My home insurance literally ran out two weeks ago – the odds of that are just mental. I meant to renew it but it just slipped my mind.’

Putting the financial loss to one side, Mr Slater knows he is lucky to still be alive – something he puts down to Weller’s intervention.

He said: ‘[The medics] said to me that the amount of smoke I toon in – and they looked down my throat – I wouldn’t have woken up naturally by myself.

‘It was already too far gone, which is amazing isn’t it?’

He added: ‘I’ve had dogs in the past that have done things you can’t explain. It was probably to save herself because she needed me to let her out or whatever, but I reckon most of it was to get me up.’

Mr Slater has since ordered a headstone for Weller, who he has had since she was a kitten and described as a ‘great cat’, to commemorate her passing.

His friends have also set up a GoFundMe page to try and raise money to help pay for the damage caused by the fire.
    "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Yay for the pussy! Shame it died.

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
      His friends have also set up a GoFundMe page to try and raise money to help pay for the damage caused by the fire.
      Nice story, shame about the cat, but this bit is not going to give him any life lessons.

Perhaps the GoFundMe goal should be the renewal price of his home insurance...

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
        Yay for the pussy! Shame it died.
        Your epitaph?

Comment

I think this fits in with a previous thread:
          How many smoke alarms do you have? - Contractor UK Bulletin Board
          I.e. he wasn't woken up by the smoke or flames.

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
            ‘Then I opened my eyes and saw all the smoke and thought, “She’s obviously trying to get me up”.’
            Nope. She was trying to get him to open the bloody door so she could escape.

Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
              Or wanted feeding

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
                Oh why didn't she go out to the window?
                "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

This made me laugh - yes I am a terrible cat servant!

Click image for larger version

Name:	55793.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	62.0 KB
ID:	4190878
                  Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Don't take the p155.
                    Here is one cat who has prevented a suicide (yes, mine) Click image for larger version

Name:	lucylaptop.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	53.3 KB
ID:	4191043
                    Former IPSE member
                    My Website

Comment

Working...
                    X