• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Recycling Plastics Doesn't Work

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by WTFH View Post

Not true.
    Consumers can choose to buy products with less plastic on them. Individuals - including you - aren't forced to buy from a particular supplier, you could do research and buy off businesses that use less or no plastic.

But that requires effort and people taking responsibility for their actions, when it's always easier to blame someone else.
    Which is exactly what you're doing. This hypocritical, sanctimonious faux-morality really is getting somewhat wearing. Are you OK, it wasn't always like this?
    Originally posted by MaryPoppins
    I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
    Originally posted by vetran
    Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post

I suspect it's also more expensive to buy those reduced plastic products and, especially for fresh produce, plastics are used to prolong shelf life which would require people to think about buying little and often which itself can be more expensive.
      Yes, for some things (such as fresh produce), it requires a bit of thought - although some companies now use compostable bags for their fresh, so once you've bought your bag of lemons for your gin, you can use the bag for food waste.

For other products - e.g. toilet roll - either choose one that comes in paper wrapping (e.g. Who Gives A Crap) or compostable wrapping.
      Also you can buy cleaning products as concentrates that can be diluted down into reusable bottles, and beeswax paper that is a reusable alternate to clingfilm.
      And if you have the opportunity, buy milk from a local farm vending machine - e.g. https://www.theudderstuff.co.uk

Sorry, I don't mean to be preachy, and I realise that not everyone can do it, but if each individual tries to do something, then it helps.
      When it comes to food & drink, I'm trying to eat fresh, eat local, eat seasonal.
      …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Not true.
        Consumers can choose to buy products with less plastic on them. Individuals - including you - aren't forced to buy from a particular supplier, you could do research and buy off businesses that use less or no plastic.

But that requires effort and people taking responsibility for their actions, when it's always easier to blame someone else.
        It would really help if the big suppliers decided that using less plastic was a differentiating move.

That requires the public to make it clear they want it.
        Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post
          That requires the public to make it clear they are willing to pay more for it.
          FTFY

Comment

Originally posted by Paralytic View Post

FTFY
            Actually it doesn't . Going green can mean going cheaper.

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post

Actually it doesn't . Going green can mean going cheaper.
              Do you not think if that was really the case, then manufacturers etc would not already be doing this?

Comment

Originally posted by Paralytic View Post

Do you not think if that was really the case, then manufacturers etc would not already be doing this?
                Waitrose and ALDi already are.

https://www.greenpeace.org.uk/news/s...able-rankings/

But if everyone switches costs go down.

Comment

Sorry, I don't mean to be preachy, and I realise that not everyone can do it, but if each individual tries to do something, then it helps.
                  I agree with this - working through the various challenges that are presented when trying to reduce plastic use is all part of educating people.

Sadly, it will be those at the poorer end of society who will struggle the most to make the changes needed.

If you can afford to spend a little more to reduce plastic then you really ought to. There is no justifiable reason why not.

Comment

The Oceans are in crisis but it's not US that are responsible for it and we need to have that conversation:

https://theoceancleanup.com/sources/

I was involved in conservation projects in the early 2000s in parts of Asia. The governments there really don't care and it's a very serious problem. Banning straws here is a drop in the ocean - literally.

Comment

Not true.

True, but that involves driving to several different suppliers - and if they are on the High St, that usually means extra parking charges as well. Most normal people have to go to supermarkets, and that means you get what they present you with. Depending on where you live, that choice of supermarket might be limited to very few.
                      Not everyone can achieve your level of self-righteous smugness. Personally, I don't even aspire to it.
                      His heart is in the right place - shame we can't say the same about his brain...

Comment

Working...
                      X