• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

I want your wallet

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by vetran View Post

Surely the cost is much less of an issue the bigger the supermarket because of economies of scale.

Self service tills are in the top 5 supermarkets and as you say they are making a lot of savings.

I assume each supermarket / big chain has bespoke POS? If there were a standard it would have a self scan module. Maybe there is an opportunity there? POS/OS the solution for all small retailers.

Wilko are now doing self scan by pretty much just turning their tills around.
    Yes cost is less of an issue. It is amortised across a greater estate. There are a number of standards which help. Assuming of course any of these are implemented in the target system.

The major SCO Providers all provide a defined SCO to POS interface and implementation of it so there is a decent starting point. The issue is that this is, in effect, a "new" thing to integrate to in the client pos.

Generally this will require change, potentially significant, to implement and the pos authors may be reluctant.

It is always doable, but generally messy.

An example may be a trigger for an item sale. The interface layer may need to reformat this to force it thru an rs232 emulator to look like its come from whatever scanner the pos is talking to. It may need to look at the RS232 display output, and or printer output to figure out what has happened and how to respond.

If you have access to the pos code, and are working with the sco provider it is just tedious and time consuming. If you need to "bolt on" to a broadly immutable system its harder.

Comment

Originally posted by xoggoth View Post
      Agree with some above comments. Limit should be much lower, or make it mandatory for all banks to allow us to set a limit. Mine would be 15 quid.
      Not a Tanqueray man then
      But I discovered nothing else but depraved, excessive superstition. Pliny the younger

Comment

Nah, that sounds like lm. You know perfectly well I'm a mean old sod.
        bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
        John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

less of a risk as most pads have anti snoop guards I tend to use multi finger entry. Phones you will see them hunt & peck.
          If someone wants to mug you for your phone/CC, they can just ask you your pin anyway

Originally posted by MaryPoppins
          I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
          Originally posted by vetran
          Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
            If someone wants to mug you for your phone/CC, they can just ask you your pin anyway
            They could, and they could test it there and then rather than dragging you screaming to an ATM. However as the majority of thefts are pickpocketing, bike snatching or similar so confrontation is is not likely (too risky for a few 100 quid).

All the workarounds, chopping fingers off, holding the wife hostage are in my opinion only really useful for big money.

Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Having access to my PIN sounds like 'big money'. What sort of poverty-stricken contractor are you?

Comment

Having access to my PIN sounds like 'big money'. What sort of poverty-stricken contractor are you?
                You keep more than £5k in your current account?

There is walking about money and savings invested, they are different. When we buy a car, pay for a holiday or similar we transfer money.

Comment

People get held up at a cashpoint for £300 or whatever the maximum withdrawal is... £5k is definitely big money for a street thug.

Comment

People get held up at a cashpoint for £300 or whatever the maximum withdrawal is... £5k is definitely big money for a street thug.
                    £300/day for cashpoint. ~£450 with contactless. But unlimited for Apple or Android pay as above.

£5k is a lot but hardly worth dragging people to the ATM which has a camera or holing someone hostage which is why its big news if it happens.

https://www.nimblefins.co.uk/savings...old-savings-uk

£2K is the average current account balance.

If I can see someone enter a PIN and steal their phone without confrontation it would be reasonable to expect to get £250 without being caught. If I get caught I would get community service. If I batter them to get the pin and phone I might get more money but would be sentenced to 2 years.

Comment

£300/day for cashpoint. ~£450 with contactless. But unlimited for Apple or Android pay as above.

£5k is a lot but hardly worth dragging people to the ATM which has a camera or holing someone hostage which is why its big news if it happens.

https://www.nimblefins.co.uk/savings...old-savings-uk

£2K is the average current account balance.

If I can see someone enter a PIN and steal their phone without confrontation it would be reasonable to expect to get £250 without being caught. If I get caught I would get community service. If I batter them to get the pin and phone I might get more money but would be sentenced to 2 years.
                      The phone is probably worth more than £250 either way, maybe overthinking about queuing to get a phone with a PIN (you will be on camera at the till probably) rather than just nicking more phones and wallets

But wasn't this about contactless anyway?

Comment

Working...
                      X