• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Can I rent a property as a non-ltd company contractor on a short gig?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can I rent a property as a non-ltd company contractor on a short gig?

Is it possible to apply for a rental property working as a contractor employed by an umbrella company with only 4 months left on a current client contract? Would the only option be to provide a guarantor or are there alternatives? Has anyone else been successful on doing so? I expect this would be classed as very high risk but would be good to understand the prices so that I am not completely wasting my time by applying.

Chutney spoons is a real poster...
    "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
      Chutney spoons is a real poster...
      ??

Comment

This is a question for your letting agent really. Nothing's impossible - I came back from Australia with my family about 10 years ago and neither I nor my partner had a job at all, or any credit record left in the UK. We managed to rent (with a dog and kids as well!) just by showing a rather large (recent house sale) bank account to show that we were good for the money (they didn't ask us to pay up front, either).

Comment

Yes you can apply for a rental property as a contractor under and umbrella
          'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Rental properties are like hen's teeth at the moment in some parts of the country so the landlord can be very choosy.

Just sold my house and place I was buying looked at risk so I applied for a rental. Only way I had a chance was to offer to pay 6 months up front to reduce landlady's risk. I did win the property but then this triggered my sellers to get sorted so I did pull out.

So yes you can, but it will be minimum of 6 months and you will need to make yourself look like the best candidate so offer to pay up front.

Good lubk
            I am what I drink, and I'm a bitter man

Comment

It's well worth having a chat with a few letting agents to get an idea of their affordability criteria. Landlords can override that but they are often guided by the outcome of the checks done by the agency.

I wouldn't complicate anything by saying that you're a contractor working via an umbrella etc. You're an employee and you have payslips evidencing your income. You don't need to say you'll be out of work in 4 months as you might not be.

You may be asked to show evidence of savings and you may be asked to pay up front especially if you only want to rent for a short time, such as 6 months. I wouldn't offer to make an upfront payment - you'll soon know if that's going to be necessary to secure the property.

Comment

what's wrong withy AirBNB?
                Find somewhere, try it out for a week or two, then do a side deal with the owner if you like it.
                If you want it Mon-Thu, or Tue-Fri, and it's usually a weekend holiday retreat the owner may be more than pleased with a revenue stream that reduces their cleaning bill.

See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Originally posted by Lance View Post
                  what's wrong withy AirBNB?
                  Find somewhere, try it out for a week or two, then do a side deal with the owner if you like it.
                  If you want it Mon-Thu, or Tue-Fri, and it's usually a weekend holiday retreat the owner may be more than pleased with a revenue stream that reduces their cleaning bill.
                  I used a Mon-Fri let for a good while. Lovely little pad not far from Greenwich, a short walk from the DLR. The owners were sometimes there, as I was technically just renting a room, but more often than not I had the place to myself. They were ex-contractors themselves so were perfectly happy to put the agreement in myCo's name and give me VAT invoices

Comment

Usually you have to pay something like 6 months rent in advance + the deposit

Comment

Working...
                    X