• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.

And you think you put your foot in your mouth in public...

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    And you think you put your foot in your mouth in public...

    ...but not as much as Peter Bottomley. He's now got a gofundme.

    https://metro.co.uk/2021/10/07/gofun...lary-15379141/

    The British public has taken pity on a hard-done-by MP and set up fundraising pages after he revealed the struggles of getting by on his generous annual salary.

    Sir Peter Bottomley, the ‘Father of the House’ as the MP in the Commons with the longest continuous service, hit headlines yesterday after saying parliamentarians should be given a pay rise.

    He thinks MPs, who are paid £81,932 annually, should be paid the same amount as GPs – whose average salary in England is £100,700. The average salary across the UK was £31,461, as of last year.

    His comments in the New Statesman came on the day Universal Credit was cut by £20 a week for the country’s most vulnerable people.

    Although Sir Peter said he currently is not struggling financially, he believes the situation is ‘desperately difficult’ for his newer colleagues.

    The representative, for Worthing West in West Sussex, added: ‘I don’t know how they manage. It’s really grim.’

    The MP was taken to task and ridiculed online, with social media users saying he needed to ‘get a grip’ with reality.

    Many pointed out his salary does not include an MP’s generous expenses allowance, and others suggested if he had his wages cut by the equivalent of the Universal Credit cuts he would lose out on more than £17,000 a year.

    "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

    #2
    Personally I have no problem them being paid more but it's virtually impossible to have a debate about it. They may as well just award themselves a pay-rise and take the media hit because they will get lambasted regardless.

    As many here love to point out, a 6-figure salary isn't that much in the south-east/London.

    Maybe they should get paid proportionally to their constituency somehow
    Last edited by d000hg; 7 October 2021, 16:27.
    Originally posted by MaryPoppins
    I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
    Originally posted by vetran
    Urine is quite nourishing

    Comment


      #3
      Got to admit there isn't a chance in hell I'd do what they do for 80k a year, expenses and whatever, particularly in the south.

      Problem is when your peers are constantly in the news with their hands in the till and saying stuff like being paid the same as GP then even if there was some argument around that amount then it falls on very deaf ears.
      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

      Comment


        #4
        Originally posted by d000hg View Post
        Personally I have no problem them being paid more but it's virtually impossible to have a debate about it. They may as well just award themselves a pay-rise and take the media hit because they will get lambasted regardless.

        As many here love to point out, a 6-figure salary isn't that much in the south-east/London.

        Maybe they should get paid proportionally to their constancy somehow
        My personal issue isn't the amount an MP gets paid, it's the quality of MP we get for that money. You only have to think of Grayling to know that minimum wage would be too much for him!

        I'd prefer less MPs but higher calibre and pay accordingly. Maybe MPs should be suitably 'qualified' to be given the job .... just like any other profession is.
        I am what I drink, and I'm a bitter man

        Comment


          #5
          Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
          ...but not as much as Peter Bottomley. He's now got a gofundme.

          https://metro.co.uk/2021/10/07/gofun...lary-15379141/

          The British public has taken pity on a hard-done-by MP and set up fundraising pages after he revealed the struggles of getting by on his generous annual salary. ..
          It would be the funniest thing ever if some billionaire donated 10 million to this gofundme account for a laugh, so MPs ended up with a massive windfall!
          Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

          Comment


            #6
            Originally posted by Whorty View Post
            I'd prefer less MPs but higher calibre and pay accordingly. Maybe MPs should be suitably 'qualified' to be given the job .... just like any other profession is.
            Since there's obviously a shortage of good quality MPs, perhaps we should be providing Visas for foreigners to fill these low paid jobs.
            Last edited by Paralytic; 7 October 2021, 16:00.

            Comment


              #7
              Originally posted by Paralytic View Post

              Since there's obviously a shortage of good quality MPs, perhaps we should be providing Visa's for foreigners to fill these low paid jobs.
              Think we could get Trump on board?
              I am what I drink, and I'm a bitter man

              Comment


                #8
                One suggested he should retrain as a lorry driver!
                "If you didn't do anything that wasn't good for you it would be a very dull life. What are you gonna do? Everything that is pleasant in life is dangerous."

                I want to see the hand of history on his collar.

                Comment


                  #9
                  Originally posted by Whorty View Post

                  My personal issue isn't the amount an MP gets paid, it's the quality of MP we get for that money. You only have to think of Grayling to know that minimum wage would be too much for him!

                  I'd prefer less MPs but higher calibre and pay accordingly. Maybe MPs should be suitably 'qualified' to be given the job .... just like any other profession is.
                  We do have quite a selective process to elect them. Maybe we'd get better candidates if the pay was better, after all why become an MP if you've got the skills to pull down 300k and the rest?

                  Originally posted by MaryPoppins
                  I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
                  Originally posted by vetran
                  Urine is quite nourishing

                  Comment


                    #10
                    I would like to see MPs paid much more - for perspective an MP's salary is about that of a middling Java developer at an investment bank.

                    BUT - they should be forbidden for holding any other position whilst in parliament and banned from holding any influence peddling role for several years after leaving the position.

                    That would soon weed out the chancers who go into the politics for their own benefit.
                    Last edited by TheDude; 8 October 2021, 08:19.

                    Comment

                    Working...
                    X