• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Straight from the HGV drivers mouth

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Straight from the HGV drivers mouth

Shocking even the Eastern Europeans think they were badly treated.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...shes-hope.html

'EU truckers will NOT help Britain out of the s**t they created themselves': European HGV drivers' union chief dashes hopes of 'short-term visa' fix - while British driver says red-tape and abuse forced them out of the industry
    • Europe-based lorry union said drivers will not be tempted back to the UK for the promise of temporary visa
    • Despite attractive pay, FNV's Edwin Atema said they would not return to sort 's**t they created themselves'
    • It came as one British trucker said he and colleagues were treated like 'lepers of society' and left their jobs
    Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Disappointing - Seeing the thread title, I was hoping it was an ex-HGV driver complaining in a TV street interview that IR35 had made their work untenable!
    Last edited by OwlHoot; 27 September 2021, 17:46.
    Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
      Disappointing - Seeing the thread title, I was hoping it was an ex-HGV driver complaining in a TV street interview that IR35 had made their work untenable!
      its is being mentioned but the big thing being mentioned is that its the employers exploiting cheap labour.

Comment

Polish Truck Driver says he'd love to pack in his job at home, pay for a Visa to come and work in the UK for 3 months before being kicked out again at Xmas, but he's washing his hair.
        "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
          Same !

No one really mentioning that the Govt making it so difficult for self employed.

Comment

Originally posted by DaveB View Post
            Polish Truck Driver says he'd love to pack in his job at home, pay for a Visa to come and work in the UK for 3 months before being kicked out again at Xmas, but he's washing his hair.
            Not what I heard from a Polish truck driver earlier yesterday. He said after spending last Christmas at Manston airport and having to be fed by SWAT we can f*** off.
            "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post

Not what I heard from a Polish truck driver earlier yesterday. He said after spending last Christmas at Manston airport and having to be fed by SWAT we can f*** off.
              I totally understand his point of view. Does he understand why he couldn't get into France without their last minute mandated tests? We didn't want to keep people from their families.

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post

I totally understand his point of view. Does he understand why he couldn't get into France without their last minute mandated tests? We didn't want to keep people from their families.
                Many in the country have spent the last 5 years campaigning that foreigners should go home, that they are over here taking our jobs, stealing our benefits, etc.
                So, what encouragement is there for them to come back?
                Oh, yes, those years of abuse were the fault of the French.

Keep on blaming foreigners, that's the spirit!
                …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Originally posted by WTFH View Post

Many in the country have spent the last 5 years campaigning that foreigners should go home, that they are over here taking our jobs, stealing our benefits, etc.
                  So, what encouragement is there for them to come back?you
                  Oh, yes, those years of abuse were the fault of the French.

Keep on blaming foreigners, that's the spirit!
                  many in this country have made TULIP up and accused various people of being racist. Sorry have to call you out on this.

https://www.standard.co.uk/news/uk/l...t-b476719.html

More than 1,000 lorries have left the UK since Wednesday evening but many are still trapped at the port of Dover.

The drivers were stranded after France introduced travel restrictions on hauliers crossing the Channel following the emergence of a new mutated strain of coronavirus in the UK.

Footage of the port on Christmas Eve showed the truckers had used traffic cones to spell out the word “help”.

It comes after tensions threatened to boil over on Wednesday as the truckers were pictured clashing with police officers at the port.

The lorry drivers were seen honking their horns in protest. Kent Police said a man had been arrested for obstructing a highway in Dover.

France was accused of over-reacting to the new strain of Covid-19 after more than 2,000 lorry drivers waiting to leave the port returned negative test. Just three drivers had positive tests, said Transport Secretary Grant Shapps.
                  so yes it was France that caused this gentleman's bad experience. Sorry it must be the brexiteers fault.

As far as apparent racism against EU workers apparently 6 million loved it so much here they applied for settlement . That is 4-5 times the number of Brits in the EU do you think our new citizens left the EU because it is more tolerant than the UK? Have you seen some of the naked racism in some EU countries?

The argument that EU workers were causing low wages has been resoundingly proven, we are short of HGV drivers, Catering and farm staff all lowly paid jobs occupied by many EU citizens, guess what the employers are doing ? Oh yes raising wages.

We know many European criminals have rebooted their career in the UK as some of our worst crimes recently have involved none UK nationals many here illegally.

Now if you have been out shouting "go home legal migrants" you are probably alone on this board! but you are so wrong about everything else I wouldn't be surprised.

Comment

Re this max £30 limit some garages have, sensible comment in news today that should be the opposite, a minimum of £30 or more. Then drivers can only fill up when their tanks are low, as per normal.
                    bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
                    John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Working...
                    X