• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

how big should your warchest be?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mines 6 months or so, but worst comes to the worst and 1) I can stretch it by getting rid of cars and monthly payments 2) I'm pretty sure I can get myself into some kind of job, even if it's relatively low paying.

(I also have illness cover, separately - can't quite remember what I signed up, £3k pcm for 2 years or something if I'm sign off. It's actually surprisingly expensive, but COVID last year gave me a bit of a wakeup)

Comment

Originally posted by Whorty View Post
      Mine runs out when i'm 120 years old .... I'll start to think about it in more detail when I get my telegram off King William
      if you paid your 'ahem' lady friends more than 50p and a wrap you would be on the streets in 3 weeks.
      Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

I think it's just a poor troll thread to wave your willy about your bloated warchest. HTH
        'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
          I think it's just a poor troll thread to wave your willy about your bloated warchest. HTH
          its not bloated, its infected...
          Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
            have you considered for a second that maybe just maybe not everybody's as insecure as you are?
            Go get some testosterone injections, floppy.
            Last edited by lorakeen; 27 September 2021, 05:28.

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post

if you paid your 'ahem' lady friends more than 50p and a wrap you would be on the streets in 3 weeks.
              I don't need to pay them ... they do it for the pleasure of being with me
              I am what I drink, and I'm a bitter man

Comment

Originally posted by Whorty View Post

I don't need to pay them ... they do it for the pleasure of being with me
                Next Day
                Whorty "Hey I wonder where all my valubles went"

Comment

Originally posted by lorakeen View Post

have you considered for a second that maybe just maybe not everybody's as insecure as you are?
                  Go get some testosterone injections, floppy.
                  NLUK is right ..... you're trying to have a p*ssing contest with a group pf people who have been contracting for donkey's years. Even the ladies on here will p*ss higher up the wall fella (just don't ask Sue Ellen how she does it, it's her secret party trick

It's not really a game you want to play on here, so maybe stick to the pub with your mates who will be more impressed
                  I am what I drink, and I'm a bitter man

Comment

Any mention of warchests here starts an outbreak of willy waving as people boast how many months or even years they could hold out.

But I'm proud to say my warchest is the size of a matchbox. It's not how big it is but what you do with it!
                    Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
                      But I'm proud to say my warchest is the size of a matchbox. It's not how big it is but what you do with it!
                      Likewise.

Although to be fair, it depends on your industry and likelihood of getting other work. If you do something that has a glut of contractors, then you'll want a bigger warchest - particularly if you're obnoxious, etc. If you've got a particular set of skills that are desirable, you know your market and you know your customer base, then I'd consider 6 months plenty.

Then again, warchests are meaningless if you don't know your burn rate.
                      …Maybe we ain’t that young anymore

Comment

Working...
                      X