• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

BP - We Have To Close Petrol Stations...

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by _V_ View Post
    What we are seeing in a way is a non unionised general strike. Workers are not turning up to work because pay and conditions have reached a point where inflation and general living costs mean they are better off either retiring early, living on benefits or returning to their birth countries.

Until companies make many jobs attractive again, we will see shortages everywhere.

If the Tories open the immigration flood gates I would not be surprised, this they prefer as it protects the ultra wealthy by increasing profits at the top at the expense of the bottom.
    The last couple of decades have seen the business model of large sections of the economy predicated on paying at (or below) minimum wage, with minimal benefits and crappy working conditions, to a willing supply of transient workers - who were happy enough to do it so long as they earnt decent money compared to wherever they came from. This is everything from care home staff, to fruit pickers, to HGV drivers. That's over (I hope), unless the goverment caves in to business demands. Business needs to adapt; if you can't make money whilst paying strawberry pickers minimum wage, and then taking half of it back to pay for their caravan accomodation and internet access, then you don't have a viable business model any more. It's not complicated, but there's going to be a lot of kicking and screaming during the transition, and no doubt it will end up in higher prices for the consumer (and/or lower profits for the businesses) before things settle down again.

Comment

Originally posted by _V_ View Post
      What we are seeing in a way is a non unionised general strike. Workers are not turning up to work because pay and conditions have reached a point where inflation and general living costs mean they are better off either retiring early, living on benefits or returning to their birth countries.

Until companies make many jobs attractive again, we will see shortages everywhere.

If the Tories open the immigration flood gates I would not be surprised, this they prefer as it protects the ultra wealthy by increasing profits at the top at the expense of the bottom.
      for the Tories/ERG/Mail/Express B***** was never about immigrants. They were just a convenient dog whistle to get 52% of the population to vote against their own best interests.
      The Tories love immigration.
      See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post

Keep hearing HGV drivers on the radio saying that UK service stations are disgusting and expensive before they get onto the food. There as the ones in France and Germany are paradise by comparison.
        French ones are pretty grim too. Haven't used a German one for yonks.
        Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post

French ones are pretty grim too. Haven't used a German one for yonks.
          They are apparently better than UK ones.

Anyway they are calling in the army!

Short sighted as when they leave the army they won't sign up to be HGV drivers.
          "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

https://www.migrationwatchuk.org/press-release/645/half-a-million-visa-grants-for-work-study-and-family-show-that-high-immigration-continues-apace

These latest figures show half a million visas being issued for work, study and family (despite Covid travel restrictions). There is no sign that the government’s “Australian Style” system has achieved any reduction whatever.

Since the beginning of the year there is a different form of immigration but there's no reduction.
            I'm alright Jack

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
              Cue queues on the forecourt, à la fuel strike of 1999.

CCTV has improved though.

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post

They are apparently better than UK ones.
                Not really. I know - I've used them often enough. Some of the UK ones are quite decent.

Comment

NotAllThere,

I thought the petrol strikes years ago were in Sept 2000?

Comment

3 Petrol stations around here closed already (Leamington-Warwick)
                    Former IPSE member
                    My Website

Comment

Originally posted by Scorp1 View Post
                      NotAllThere,

I thought the petrol strikes years ago were in Sept 2000?
                      You are right. It was 2000.

Comment

Working...
                      X