• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

What is going on out there folks?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What is going on out there folks?

I wonder if I am alone in noticing quite a rise in posts on here about "duff" contracts in terms of working conditions.
    True, these have always been around even from when I started contracted in the late 90's. I have even had a few duff projects myself. There are some shocking clients from hell out there.
    But it seems to be almost every other day now that someone needs advice on here about bailing on a bad contract.

(Note, I am not objecting to someone bailing on a bad gig or asking for advice on how to handle it)

Has the market changed that much or have the clients changed?
    I am actually interested.
    Former IPSE member
    My Website

I think this is covid and mental health and I am not joking

i am also seeing many complaints on this site about bad contracts but I am also seeing a ton of people just quitting perm work and concentrating on family or working less

ive never seen that before either

on my part this is the first time (one year ago) where I personally got mad from my job and it nearly broke me. I blame a lot of that on covid actually

so there is your answer

Comment

Comment

As Gen Z and whatever the late 20's are called come in to the industry and the culture of snowflakeness and wokery grows I am sure you will see more

When aaah were't lad I'da chopped me reet testicle off fot' gigs thems chunterin bout. Did 6 hours in't pit afore starin werk at cushy gigs likes them.
        Last edited by northernladuk; 17 September 2021, 20:31.
        'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

'Tis odd isn't it. There are a whole host of possible reasons. In all three non of them interviewed the client and I'm pretty sure if they had they wouldn't be where they are. I do think remote interviews are partly to blame. All this chatting over Teams doesn't always beat a good face to face with someone.
          Other aspects of it I think are part of the new WFH remote world i.e. the delays. Could be we are hearing only one side of the story from all three but the reality could make all the situations be much different?
          It could also be the same client.

And what's that thing called where one posts something which it registers with other people so they are more likey to then post about it where they might not have before? Not #metoo or their time of the month syncing up. I thought there was some word for it.
          We've seen it the past where someone has an issue and for some obscure reason the next week or two appears to have the same questions popping up.

But all three aren't the disasters the OP's are making out so think there is a bit of soul searching by all three posters to be fair.
          Last edited by northernladuk; 17 September 2021, 20:29.
          'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
            And what's that thing called where one posts something which it registers with other people so they are more likey to then post about it where they might not have before?
            https://www.healthline.com/health/ba...hof-phenomenon

Apparently it has nothing to do with making bombs in your cellar.
            When the fun stops, STOP.

Comment

I've been gigging for nearly thirty years now and I'm pretty sure a lot of the problem is everyone is doing "agile". It's working to the slavemaster's drumbeat of deliverables every sprint leading developers to rush out changes whilst cutting corners to deliver, thus creating technical debt & leading to yet more bugs.

It's a mess-making machine.

Comment

The shift to frAgile in most companies has driven me to despair. One of the main reason for my plans on semi-retirement this year followed by full retirement in the next 12 to 24 months. Sick to death of no joined up thinking, a two-week treadmill of badly thought through deliverables that cause chaos and mayhem.

Click image for larger version

Name:	b6c.gifv.gif
Views:	229
Size:	487.7 KB
ID:	4183035
                First Law of Contracting: Only the strong survive

Comment

Originally posted by _V_ View Post
                  The shift to frAgile in most companies has driven me to despair. One of the main reason for my plans on semi-retirement this year followed by full retirement in the next 12 to 24 months. Sick to death of no joined up thinking, a two-week treadmill of badly thought through deliverables that cause chaos and mayhem.

Click image for larger version

Name:	b6c.gifv.gif
Views:	229
Size:	487.7 KB
ID:	4183035
                  what age are you going to retire and what will you do all day?! Easy to say gym and coffee but reality is that gets boring quickly

Comment

“Business Analysts? We don’t need no stinking Business Analysts!”

"I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
                    - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Working...
                    X