• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Refused DV (developed vetting) clearance

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Gibbon View Post

Bollocks, I know someone who has signed it on entering and exiting every contract, the fecking agency even sent and collected it. Just because you sign it doesn't mean you are deemed worthy to see anything, just means if you accidentally come across or hear something you can't talk about it, its a big catch all to put the frighteners on.
    You only have it sign it once, it's binding for life unless the material in question is declassified under the various n-Year rules. The point is it defines legal remedies for any classified material you may be allowed to access so it's pretty wide-ranging.

However any clearance is granted on the implicit understanding that the provisions of the OSA will apply. Clearance is not legally enforceable, it's a pre-emptive risk assessment, but the OSA is.
    Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Bollocks
      No. You do not have to sign it to be bound by it. It's not a contract, it's law.
      https://commonslibrary.parliament.uk...ings/cbp-7422/

Do you have to sign the Official Secrets Act to be bound by it?

It is not necessary for a person to have signed the Official Secrets Act in order to be bound by it. The 1989 Act states that a person can be “notified” that he or she is bound by it; and Government employees will usually be informed via their contract of employment if they must observe the Act.
      I know someone who has signed it on entering and exiting every contract, the fecking agency even sent and collected it. Just because you sign it doesn't mean you are deemed worthy to see anything, just means if you accidentally come across or hear something you can't talk about it, its a big catch all to put the frighteners on.
      What that person you know signed was either a contract that included the fact that it was covered under the act, or a statement that they understood they were covered by the act.

You do not have to sign it to be covered by it. Notification is sufficient.

Here's the text of the law.
      1Security and intelligence.

(1)A person who is or has been—

(a)a member of the security and intelligence services; or

(b)a person notified that he is subject to the provisions of this subsection,

is guilty of an offence if without lawful authority he discloses any information, document or other article relating to security or intelligence which is or has been in his possession by virtue of his position as a member of any of those services or in the course of his work while the notification is or was in force.
      Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by TreeOfLife View Post
        Apologies if this question/query has been answered on here before.

As the title suggests, I was recently refused DV clearance for a job in the defence undustry. With the exception of a ccj in 2014, my background is totally clean (no criminal convictions etc.) and I've never been in trouble with the law. Moreover, I was completely accurate/honest in answering all of the questions posed in the dv vetting application form and, since the ccj in 2014, my credit rating has also steadily improved. I'm totally confused therefore as to why the vetting agency would refuse me clearance, could the ccj from 2014 still affect my application? Can I appeal their decision?

Any advise would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers.
        You are looking too deeply into this. You were rejected. If they had wanted any clarification they would have asked you directly.

They're trawling through your history, including mobile phone and internet usage, and for some reason some aspect of you hasn't fulfilled the criteria for DV.

You shouldn't worry about it. Think of the benefit, no more applying for roles that say "you must have current SC clearance and be prepared to go to DV level". No more waiting for 4 to 8 weeks to start a role only to be rejected. You can concentrate on SC roles or normal roles with basic BPSS/DBS clearance.

The reason people are joking about your post is because you are trying to find out information that you can't possibly find out. Move on.

Best of luck to you for the next role.

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
          No. You do not have to sign it to be bound by it. It's not a contract, it's law.
          https://commonslibrary.parliament.uk...ings/cbp-7422/

What that person you know signed was either a contract that included the fact that it was covered under the act, or a statement that they understood they were covered by the act.

You do not have to sign it to be covered by it. Notification is sufficient.

Here's the text of the law.
          You mean I can't mention Bojo has the morals of an alleycat without breaking the OSA which I have never seen? Shocking!
          Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post

You mean I can't mention Bojo has the morals of an alleycat without breaking the OSA which I have never seen? Shocking!
            No, you numpty.

Comment

Nope, it was annex C, agreed that you don't have to sign it (but to get the contract they did have to), but they have signed this several times, and if you look at it you can see its on the way in and out.
              But I discovered nothing else but depraved, excessive superstition. Pliny the younger

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post

That's right. You have to say "Bojo hasn't the morals of an alleycat".

Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Nope, it was annex C, agreed that you don't have to sign it (but to get the contract they did have to), but they have signed this several times, and if you look at it you can see its on the way in and out.
                  (a) It doesn't matter and

(b) It does no harm to emphasise what you are responsible for...
                  Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Originally posted by TreeOfLife View Post
                    Apologies if this question/query has been answered on here before.

As the title suggests, I was recently refused DV clearance for a job in the defence undustry. With the exception of a ccj in 2014, my background is totally clean (no criminal convictions etc.) and I've never been in trouble with the law. Moreover, I was completely accurate/honest in answering all of the questions posed in the dv vetting application form and, since the ccj in 2014, my credit rating has also steadily improved. I'm totally confused therefore as to why the vetting agency would refuse me clearance, could the ccj from 2014 still affect my application? Can I appeal their decision?

Any advise would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers.
                    As this is general I will play nicely, are you sure it was DV? DV involves a lot of background checks and interviews with family etc, maybe they said something.

Either way if it was SC or DV, can you appeal, due to the fact you will never find out why you were deemed a security risk to the nation the short answer is no, the longer answer noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo
                    Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
                    I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

Isn't there something in the Official Secrets Act that says you can't mention that you've signed it?
                      Don't get me started on this one, you don't need to sign the OSA, you certainly don't need to sign it multiple times, its a law so therefore you are subject to it wether you sign a piece of paper or not!
                      Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
                      I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

Working...
                      X