• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Afghanistan

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Latest theory is that the Yanks deliberately left a shedload of hardware for the Taliban, to allow the latter to be a bigger thorn in the side of China!

Also, apparently China's President Xi has asked the Taliban to go easy on Biden because he's "their guy".

You can't make this stuff up (although perhaps someone did).
    Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Interesting article on Afghanistan here, by the guy who literally wrote the book on it.

Among other things, it seems to confirm my suspicion that foreign occupations there advance the country two steps forward, or at least one and a bit, and one step back.

For the Afghans, the First Afghan War changed their state forever: on his return in 1842, Emir Dost Mohammad inherited the reforms made by the British and these helped him consolidate an Afghanistan that was much more clearly defined than it was before the war.

Indeed Shuja and most of his contemporaries never used the word “Afghanistan” — for him, there was a Kingdom of Kabul which was the last surviving fragment of the Durrani Empire and which lay on the edge of a geographical space he described as Khurasan.

Yet within a generation the phrase Afghanistan existed widely on maps both in and outside the country and the people within that space were beginning to describe themselves as Afghans.
      Likewise, today the taste of freedom they've had over the last twenty years, especially for women, will probably mean the Taliban's rule will be more moderate and maybe short-lived than it would have been.
      Last edited by OwlHoot; 28 August 2021, 09:58.

Comment

Hope you're right on that. Most societies do evolve eventually.

As for the ISIS K thing, maybe we need AI self-flying drones that wander the world and bomb anyone who looks like a terrorist. What could go wrong?
        bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
        John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Maybe we will learn someday that forceful interventions and occupations won't force changes on societies. Vietnam, Afghanistan, Iraq, Iran, Libya, show it never works. Better to encourage evolution with sensible cooperation. Societies can only change slowly, it's a generational thing.
          bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
          John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Now with the pile of latest weapons available to Taliban, Pakistan's 'Taliban movement in Pakistan' a.k.a. 'Tehrik-i-Taliban Pakistan' has an upper hand which is worrying moderate Pakistanis. It is also worrying Iran which is a majority Shia population as opposed to Sunni Talibans. China is playing friendly with Taliban for now but they have their concerns too.

Is the sudden withdrawal a check to China, Iran and Pakistan - all in one shot? It could be!
            Last edited by BigDataPro; 29 August 2021, 09:06.

Comment

Sudden withdrawal is a check on Biden’s mental abilities

Comment

Turns out one of Pen Farthing's stray animals was on a watch list!

Click image for larger version

Name:	21414c90-8f1a-445b-989f-74a955755b28-298a2eaa-5063-4cf6-97e6-a80ffe75c893.png
Views:	139
Size:	1.22 MB
ID:	4180170

Comment

as predicted.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...g-tuk-tuk.html

'Vaporised' on a tuk-tuk: Two ISIS-K Kabul bomb plotters were killed by US drone strike while riding on the back of a three-wheeled motorbike in northern Afghanistan
                  • Two senior ISIS-K operatives who plotted the Kabul airport carnage were killed in an American drone strike
                  • Pair were riding a tuk-tuk and died immediately and an associate was injured
                  • Defence chiefs at Pentagon refused to release the names of the dead terrorists
                  Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Why would not they release names of those "senior operatives", as they are supposedly dead now anyway? It's not like it's now secret that they were known to US

Only sensible explanation is that they are not senior, maybe not even operatives.

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
                      Why would not they release names of those "senior operatives", as they are supposedly dead now anyway? It's not like it's now secret that they were known to US

Only sensible explanation is that they are not senior, maybe not even operatives.

Oh God I hope I can afford my tin foil hat1
                      FTFY
                      Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Working...
                      X