• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Afghanistan

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Andy2 View Post
    People are suffering in afghanistan. Why is UN keeping quiet.
    its time to send UN peacekeeping force there.
    1. Nobody wants to send any forces there
    2. UN Force would require request from local Govt, which is Taliban now

Biden (what an idiot), will now have to decide whether to recognise Taliban as effective Govt - and if he does so, he'll have to return back $$$ frozen in accounts (that would be as bad or maybe worse than when Obana returned Iran frozen money), or not recognise them - most likely will lead to hunger there

Comment

Twelve US service members were killed and 15 were injured in an attack at Kabul's airport, the head of the US Central Command said.

https://edition.cnn.com/world/live-n...ntl/index.html

Was 9 in 2020 and 22 in 2019.

Looks like Great Sage of CUK was correct - Biden is done for.

Comment

What made me chuckle was Biden saying they will hunt down the bombers and make them pay. Exactly how, I wondered? They're withdrawing so are they going to wait on the border for the perps to pop to the shops in order to get them?

Comment

Might send a few bombers or drones in, they've managed to knock out terrorist leaders before, but doubt it will make much difference. Probably best hope is that ISIS K annoy the Taliban so much that they'll do something.

Biden is a disaster, shouldn't say it as an old fart meself, but there should be an age limit on running for office. You don't have to be senile to lose some of yer sharpness. If I was PM, I'd keep missing important meetings because I'd be wandering around No 10 looking for me glasses.
          Last edited by xoggoth; 27 August 2021, 10:36.
          bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
          John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

A couple of days ago, Biden was quite busy.

Click image for larger version

Name:	E9gN8grWUAYzP0H?format=jpg&name=small.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	88.1 KB
ID:	4179938
            First Law of Contracting: Only the strong survive

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
              What made me chuckle was Biden saying they will hunt down the bombers and make them pay. Exactly how, I wondered? They're withdrawing so are they going to wait on the border for the perps to pop to the shops in order to get them?
              To be fair the US are quite proficient at drone assassination. Some car will be found vaporised on a remote road in the next 6 months with bits of missile poking out.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Target...tes_government

edited - good is probably not the right word for killing people even terrorists.
              Last edited by vetran; 27 August 2021, 11:49.
              Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

"Ah heck, I knew this was a bad idea - back we... er you go lads"
                Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Exactly how, I wondered?
                  Probably via bitcoin, it's the preferred currency of scammers and terrorists.

Comment

Drone attacks were successful because US were on the ground (most of it) and plenty of local sources were talking.

If you read reports from a few months ago you’ll find that plan for “withdrawal” would still keep embassy with … like 3000 employees. Now does anyone think so many employees needed for visas there? 90% of that number was CIA, and now they got zero.

Plus those terrorists probably in areas of Pakistan which even Pakistan does not control.

And now ISIS and especially AQ will obviously try their best to commit terrorist act on US soil - their motivation now is going to be at maximum level and since Biden did it so early in his term (what a cretin) chances are high they will do it before he’d like to be reelected (now he won’t be).

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
                      Drone attacks were successful because US were on the ground (most of it) and plenty of local sources were talking.

If you read reports from a few months ago you’ll find that plan for “withdrawal” would still keep embassy with … like 3000 employees. Now does anyone think so many employees needed for visas there? 90% of that number was CIA, and now they got zero.

Plus those terrorists probably in areas of Pakistan which even Pakistan does not control.

And now ISIS and especially AQ will obviously try their best to commit terrorist act on US soil - their motivation now is going to be at maximum level and since Biden did it so early in his term (what a cretin) chances are high they will do it before he’d like to be reelected (now he won’t be).
                      Its not necessary to "paint a target" with modern drones, with modern cameras experts can be in a Starbucks equipped bunker in the US and press the button as if they were there.

They found Osama in Pakistan they didn't need grunts on the ground. They only sent in soldiers to make a positive identification and not upset the Pakistanis, turning to house to dust without a picture of Osama laying in it wouldn't go too well internationally.

Almost certainly the Taliban, AQ etc will strike abroad now they aren't tied down in Afghanistan, I suspect a biblical level Shock & Awe attack in response, The US should have stayed there 40 years and kept a lid on until it stabilised.

Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Working...
                      X