• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

My contract is finally ending YAY!

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post

Yeah. Always remember: those that can, do; those that can't, manage
    I resemble that remark. I "manage" because three bouts of cancer made my previous skill set unuseable. Hard to build a bridge when you can't use a theo because you can't stop shaking.
    Last edited by Lost It; 13 August 2021, 09:57.

Comment

Originally posted by Lost It View Post

I resemble that remark. I "manage" because three bouts of cancer made my previous skill set unuseable. hard to build a bridge when you can't use a theo because you can't stop shaking.

I was targeting the feeble minded, as I hope you know, rather than competent people.

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post

I was targeting the feeble minded, as I hope you know, rather than competent people.
        Unfortunately what you say is absolutely correct in 99.999999% of the cases. ;-)

Comment

Originally posted by Lost It View Post
          I've had a few college graduates who think because they have sent an email it will **just** happen.
          You know how PMs make a pregnancy complete in a month?

Hire 9 pregnant women.
          Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post

That would require a competent PM, they tend to be rare. The one he is describing seems out of their depth.

Plenty of ex techies who are PMs, of course the ones who actually study the techniques and enjoy the interactions tend to do better than others.
            He's also biased .. so just because he's describing her as not competent, and the project was a success before she joined and it's not now, is only one side of the story. Management put her on the project for a reason, and it's rarely because everything is working perfectly and running to schedule.
            I am what I drink, and I'm a bitter man

Comment

I have a phrase for this when its obvious its out of my hands. You have shown them best practices, possible savings highlighted risks and still they persist. I only say it in my head but it helps.

I can't fix stupid.

When that happens too often I go get a better job. If you stay it drags you down.
              Yep - but the OP should have done that 6 months ago, not now.
              merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Hire 9 pregnant women.
                That's just the most clueful ones, others will just hire 9 women (of a suitable age), some will just hire 9 warm bodies (male / female)
                merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Hire 9 pregnant women.
                  that's transphobic.
                  Men can be pregnant too
                  See You Next Tuesday

Comment

Originally posted by Paralytic View Post

It sounds like the client is treating you like an employee (are you inside IR35?) and you're accepting it as such. If you truly thought of yourself as a supplier, you'd be speaking to your client about the issues being put in your way that are not allowing you to deliver the service they're paying for.

I get that running away from such challenges is the easier option for some, however.
                    I'm in Europe, working for EU company.

I spoke to the client, and the team. As it turns out, this is how the whole mess has been ran forever. Boss is not-tech in charge of large and messy tech platform so he has no understanding of maintenance and scalability. Bad tech decisions made for 10+ years by business stakeholders and non tech PMs led to a disgusting mess of code running on antiquated software. Cheap and fast for 10 years leads to mess.

And now after 10 years of mess, all of the chicken are coming home to roost and the result is- security problems, antiquated software, bad 99% procedural code and the things I was hired to deliver- upgrade, scalability, next upgrade, rewriting have gone to hell because new PM needs to be involved in everything and poke her nose everywhere including things she doesn't remotely have the capacity to understand.
                    A simple security matter that could've been solved in 2 weeks ended up in 3 months because she thought she could convert the whole core to PDO in 3 days- without understanding the cascading down of consequences.
                    It took 2 weeks of my time to explain to her why that's impossible.

Result: lost resources, deadlines gone to hell, and the company looking at closing the platform down.
                    And talking to the boss achieved jack tulip. I tried.

You're right, I have 6 weeks to go and finish the current project then I am done.

Comment

Originally posted by Lance View Post

that's transphobic.
                      Men can be pregnant too
                      Not biological men sorry.

Now women who identify as men can.

I can pretend to be Mike Tindall by wearing a copy of his shirt, I think his missus might notice the difference.
                      Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Working...
                      X