• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Dr Who 2021 to 2022

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    That's nonsense. It's about being believable within the premise of the show.
    No, that's nonsense. Given a Tardis, all of the Doctor's problems can be resolved by simply pre-empting them. Several times if necessary.

What I'm trying to say, not very well, is that using a simple "magic" solution to resolve every crisis is cheating. Earlier doctors had to apply a bit of technical knowhow or derring-do, and it's the lack of that which is killing the latest versions. To use an early Rose example, freeing her form being tied up in the depths of a spaceship was done using the sonic screwdriver to release the bonds, but getting there to use it took a bit of effort on the Doctor's behalf. These days you point your sonic screwdriver at a control panel and the miracle occurs. No derring-do necessary.
    Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Just on a side note... I am assuming 'The Master' has been written out of the show for being a white male and using slavery references?
      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
        Just on a side note... I am assuming 'The Master' has been written out of the show for being a white male and using slavery references?
        There was also 'Missy' don't forget

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post

There was also 'Missy' don't forget
          Ah indeed and Dhawan played The Master last year so there is my white male out the window as well. All very progressive indeed, just those pronouns might need tweaking
          'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by malvolio View Post
            Given a Tardis, all of the Doctor's problems can be resolved by simply pre-empting them.
            Not necessarily - https://tardis.fandom.com/wiki/Fixed_point_in_time

Essentially, if you know what's going to happen you can't stop it*. It's fixed. The probability waveform has collapsed.

* But I'm sure that some episodes added the caveat of "unless you really want to". But then, it is fantasy. When the writing's otherwise good, a few logical holes and inconsistencies can be forgiven, I think. But the writing for several seasons now has been largely dire (with a few honourable exceptions).

Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
              Not necessarily - https://tardis.fandom.com/wiki/Fixed_point_in_time

Essentially, if you know what's going to happen you can't stop it*. It's fixed. The probability waveform has collapsed.

* But I'm sure that some episodes added the caveat of "unless you really want to". But then, it is fantasy. When the writing's otherwise good, a few logical holes and inconsistencies can be forgiven, I think. But the writing for several seasons now has been largely dire (with a few honourable exceptions).
              Read Asimov's The End of Eternity...
              Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Originally posted by malvolio View Post

Read Asimov's The End of Eternity...
                Already done. Several times. Although Asimov's love angles are excrutiating. And the names he chose...

Just got my daughters onto the Foundation trilogy of 572 books and growing...
                Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Peter Hamilton's Commonwealth 'Universe' is much more up to date take on the whole Human/Immortal/Cyborg/Android/Robot question. Not too 'grown up' either.
                  Also any Philip K Disk short story for a taste of 1960's view of the future also worth the effort.

Comment

I care much less about who the new Doctor is, or what color or gender they are, than I do who the next writer is. I *like* Jodie Whittaker and think she could have been a great Doctor but I think she's been hard done by on the writing front - the last two series have been pretty terrible I think.

Comment

Must admit I only watched the last series because JW was in it...

Comment

Working...
                      X