• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Sunak Hints U.K. Government May Drop Pensions Triple Lock

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sunak Hints U.K. Government May Drop Pensions Triple Lock

Interesting report from Bloomberg:

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...premium-europe

The BBC story: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-57762787

So the part of the triple-lock that relates to salary growth is simply measuring the difference between date X on subsequent years, is that right? So the high salary growth is the recovery from depressed levels during Covid, e.g. if salaries fluctuated 10% up then down every 2 years this would be a recurring problem?

On that basis it makes total sense to break the lock BUT can you imagine the frothing on FB and in the news? Rishi could lose all this popularity he gained, for making an obviously sensible decision.
    Originally posted by MaryPoppins
    I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
    Originally posted by vetran
    Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Even as an old fart I don't see a good reason for this triple lock thing. Nor that annual heating allowance.
      bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
      John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
        The BBC story: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-57762787

So the part of the triple-lock that relates to salary growth is simply measuring the difference between date X on subsequent years, is that right?
        That seems to be the way it works, so this is a statistical fluke based on the rebound from lower wages last year - which of course they were immune to, due to the triple lock. The triple lock was always a stupid idea, economically at least, but bribes do tend to be popular electorally. That, and stopping at nothing to keep house prices high, keeps the oldies sleeping well at night.

Comment

Originally posted by xoggoth View Post
          Even as an old fart I don't see a good reason for this triple lock thing. Nor that annual heating allowance.
          The "good reason" is that it keeps the pensioners voting Tory. Remember the hysteria over the "Corbyn will take your pension" stories at the last GE?
          "Being nice costs nothing and sometimes gets you extra bacon" - Pondlife.

Comment

Originally posted by DaveB View Post

The "good reason" is that it keeps the pensioners voting Tory. Remember the hysteria over the "Corbyn will take your pension" stories at the last GE?
            That will be the message spun now by Tories .... well, if you think this is bad, you just need to see what Starmer would do

Vote Tory - we're bad, but it could be worse
            I am what I drink, and I'm a bitter man

Comment

The idea of the triple lock was to make sure state pensions don't fall behind. However, prior to the triple lock state pension did fall behind and they have never caught up. UK state pensions are among the lowest in Europe and are the lowest in Europe if the cost of living is taken into account. The UK state pension needs to double in order to make up lost ground.

https://researchbriefings.files.parl...90/SN00290.pdf
              "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

The sad thing is the people who had only the state pension to live on claimed pension credit, as is rightly theirs, the Treasury would lose a few billion.
                "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Manifesto promise - should be automatically triggering new election with party leadership who broke promise going to jail for 10 to life

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
                    Manifesto promise - should be automatically triggering new election with party leadership who broke promise going to jail for 10 to life
                    We don't put ex-ministers in prison unfortunately.....

"You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Working...
                    X