• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

One for WTFH

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by vetran View Post

Completely disagree failing to disclose a scandal or covering up in the UK will get you or your organisation a massive fine and or jail time. A simple mistake won't.

What we might not be doing is setting our standards correctly.
    link
    • Libel: In the US, if someone accuses you of lying about them in print and sues you, they need to prove that what you said was false. UK libel law reverses the burden of proof: when suing someone for libel, it’s up to the defendant to prove that what they said was true. More specifically, to win a libel case in the UK, the plaintiff only needs to demonstrate that the statement hurt their reputation; unlike in most situations in the US, they don’t also need to prove that the statement was false. A UK defendant can, of course, mount a defense that “it was true,” which is helpful if they can prove it. Also, in the UK, if (1) you are sued for libel, and (2) you are a newspaper, and (3) you are not a member of a particular special press oversight organization that most newspapers have refused to join, then you may be legally required to pay the attorneys’ fees for the person who filed the lawsuit, even if you win the case and are found to have done nothing wrong. (This provision of law has not yet taken effect; the legislation passed after the Leveson Inquiry.) See English defamation law - Wikipedia, The cost of libel reform, and American and British Defamation Suit Comparisons for more.
    not sure if it covers what i was after. remember reading about it in Moneyland by Oliver Bullough.

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post
      If you don't approve then don't lecture
      I'm sorry has someone hacked your account?
      Originally posted by MaryPoppins
      I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
      Originally posted by vetran
      Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
        I'm sorry has someone hacked your account?
        Its a moment of insanity, next I will start being nice!
        Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Working...
        X