• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

The watch - the bbc

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The watch - the bbc

and Wokery strikes again.

Captain Vimes is fundamentally decent and reasonable yes he is a functioning alcoholic but he is neither stupid, intentionally rude nor mendacious.

Constable Carrot is naïve not stupid he isn't vain. He doesn't do scared.

Angua is exotic not street slut.

Vetinari is Machiavelli not Maureen Lipman.

Cheery is a dwarf not the mighty boosh.

The streets of Ankh Morpork are more peppa pig (mud & puddles) than Manchester.

not great but its the Discworld universe so not terrible either.
    Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Going Postal on Sky was great. Angua proper scary (and exotic).

Hmm. Punk rock comedy thriller. I think I might drag the VPN out.
    Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

The Night Watch on Radio 4 had Philip Jackson as Vimes. A perfect piece of casting and Carrott was bang-on as the naive optimist. I really don’t like Tony Robinson’s portrayal of Carrott as stupid and slow.
      "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
      - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Thanks its not just me then.

Having read all the books and listened to the Audiobooks the characters are wrong in this.

If they wanted a female Vetinari then have them properly scary not like a nun. The first thing anyone feels with their whole body in Vetinari's presence is "I really don't want to be here - ever"

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post
          not great but its the Discworld universe so not terrible either.
          It's only Discworld because the BBC bought the rights and then completely butchered it.

It's not Discworld in any way that the Terry Pratchett estate recognises - the retweet of https://twitter.com/neilhimself/stat...48850506846208 tells you everything you need to know as does the below quote

Rhianna Pratchett
          @rhipratchett
          ·
          Oct 9, 2020
          Look, I think it's fairly obvious that @TheWatch shares no DNA with my father's Watch. This is neither criticism nor support. It is what it is.
          6.8KTerry Pratchett Retweeted

Rhianna Pratchett
          @rhipratchett
          Replying to
          @rhipratchett
          UPDATE:
          @TheWatch
          will succeed or fail on its own merits. But watching the recent talk around the show, I feel I should point out that there are many fine actors & crew involved who’ve worked hard on this. If you don’t like what you’ve seen, then please don’t take it out on them.
          merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

People have been butchering books on the small and big screen for decades, without it being "wokery".

I've seen a few DW adaptations and never been enthralled by any of them, it's hard to 'do' a universe like this on TV IMO. Too much quirkery and colour, it easily ends up overdone & cheesey. And it's so open for interpretation that any one director's version will miss the mark for many.

Even the recent Good Omens, which was done about as well as I could wish for with a great casting, still larked the spark of the book. DW translates well to radio but not TV, to my taste anyway.
            Originally posted by MaryPoppins
            I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
            Originally posted by vetran
            Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
              People have been butchering books on the small and big screen for decades, without it being "wokery".

I've seen a few DW adaptations and never been enthralled by any of them, it's hard to 'do' a universe like this on TV IMO. Too much quirkery and colour, it easily ends up overdone & cheesey. And it's so open for interpretation that any one director's version will miss the mark for many.

Even the recent Good Omens, which was done about as well as I could wish for with a great casting, still larked the spark of the book. DW translates well to radio but not TV, to my taste anyway.
              I liked the sky adaptions, yes there were times when the imagery and style jarred with my imagination but you could see how the director etc. had go there. Nothing screamed we changed it because we didn't think it agreed with our opinions.

The Watch looks like they were adapting the the Watchmen or Suicide squad not discworld. There are many magnificent female characters round the watch ecosystem changing Vetinari, Angua and cheery so much was not needed.

Sam Vimes is totally moral if a little damaged, he is the valiant warrior who has seen too much. He is not an idiotic oaf.

Comment

Going Postal - Claire Foy in leather. Hogfather was great too.
                Originally posted by vetran View Post
                The first thing anyone feels with their whole body in Vetinari's presence is "I really don't want to be here - ever"
                He can arrange that. Permanently. Don't let me detain you.

I watched the first episode this morning. I actually quite like it. It's not Pratchett. But I found it very darkly funny and it references many of the Vimes stories. I love that the alchemists guild are the drug dealers. Pterry didn't see that.

Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

I watched up to episode 8 its not terrible but it isn't as good as Sir Terry.

Comment

On related topics, any proper fans care to weigh in on American Gods series? I've read the book and never got round to the show, which I see is still going strong.
                    Originally posted by MaryPoppins
                    I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
                    Originally posted by vetran
                    Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Working...
                    X