• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

The watch - the bbc

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by vetran View Post

I liked the sky adaptions, yes there were times when the imagery and style jarred with my imagination but you could see how the director etc. had go there. Nothing screamed we changed it because we didn't think it agreed with our opinions.

The Watch looks like they were adapting the the Watchmen or Suicide squad not discworld. There are many magnificent female characters round the watch ecosystem changing Vetinari, Angua and cheery so much was not needed.

Sam Vimes is totally moral if a little damaged, he is the valiant warrior who has seen too much. He is not an idiotic oaf.
    Thing is the books cover pretty dark subjects in such a light tone it comes across 'harmless'. Vimes has his morals but he's still a cop who would kick a suspect in the kidneys. Nobby is portrayed as a 'cheeky chappy' but robs the dead, and if they're not quite dead he'd be happy to help you along. All the old-timers would be happy to issue a bit of extra-legal corporate punishment, accept bribes, etc.

I'm with you on changing things just for the sake of it though. Carrot and Angua were such good characters in the books I don't see the reasoning to muck them about. She's smarter and stronger than the men, surely that plays well to a modern audience without changes.
    Originally posted by MaryPoppins
    I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
    Originally posted by vetran
    Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
      On related topics, any proper fans care to weigh in on American Gods series? I've read the book and never got round to the show, which I see is still going strong.
      It was cancelled after Season 3 - which is a problem as the story is only 3/4 of the way through.
      merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post

It was cancelled after Season 3 - which is a problem as the story is only 3/4 of the way through.
        oh no, I thought I'd seen a new series. Unless they are advertising S3. Was it good?
        Originally posted by MaryPoppins
        I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
        Originally posted by vetran
        Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post

That's annoying. I had only watched the first season but was intending to watch the rest at some point.

Oh well, it's not like I don't know how it ends

Comment

Watched episode 2 and 3 tonight.

Love it. It is kind of Pratchett - the same gleeful anarchy. But somehow so much darker. But darker than "Night Watch"? Pratchett-esque.

I couldn't give a toss about the gender changes. Cried with laughter when The Wat announced they're playing "Gold". I also like that they've put Vimes as a former gang member. But the others killed in order to eat Vimes went hungry.

And when Alice appeared, I immediately though "Who the f... is Alice?"

I think you need to take it on its own merits.
            Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
              Watched episode 2 and 3 tonight.

Love it. It is kind of Pratchett - the same gleeful anarchy. But somehow so much darker. But darker than "Night Watch"? Pratchett-esque.

I couldn't give a toss about the gender changes. Cried with laughter when The Wat announced they're playing "Gold". I also like that they've put Vimes as a former gang member. But the others killed in order to eat Vimes went hungry.

And when Alice appeared, I immediately though "Who the f... is Alice?"

I think you need to take it on its own merits.
              I did warm to it eventually but it was like the Dr Who reboot too much jarred at first.

Still not as good as Sir Terry but its better than nothing.
              Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Working...
              X