• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

General election

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Sucking the EUs teat View Post
    You are joking, right? You do realise that we lost and so feel Brexit was the very essence of nationalism? As usual without proof.
    FTFY

do please take to the sub forum.

Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by Fraidycat View Post

Lets not forget Mr Benny Hill. He was wholesome family entertainment back in the 80s.
      Or shows like Rising Damp - which reminds me of a quote from Bill Bryson's Notes from a small Island
      A sitcom came on called My Neighbour is a Darkie. I suppose that wasn't its actual title, but that was the gist of it - that there was something richly comic in the notion of having black people living next door. It was full of lines like `Good lord, Gran, there's a coloured chappie in your cupboard!' and `Well, I couldn't see him in the dark, could I?'
      Originally posted by MaryPoppins
      I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
      Originally posted by vetran
      Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
        Or shows like Rising Damp - which reminds me of a quote from Bill Bryson's Notes from a small Island
        it was endemic and very embarrassing, however I fear it has gone to far Slavery apparently only happened to Africans the evil ones were Europeans, we can't talk about certain cultures failing and try to help them.

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
          It was actually "Love they Neighbour", and like "Till Death do us Part" it was highlighting the appalling levels of racism and sexism in that day's society. Neither was of itself either racist or sexist. Rising Damp was, on the other hand, quite accurate, and a far better illustration of reality.

Bryson is a good and entertaining read but he is not a reliable source of accurate social history, his views being heavily influenced by his Iowan upbringing in Middle America in the 50s
          Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Originally posted by malvolio View Post

It was actually "Love they Neighbour", and like "Till Death do us Part" it was highlighting the appalling levels of racism and sexism in that day's society. Neither was of itself either racist or sexist. Rising Damp was, on the other hand, quite accurate, and a far better illustration of reality.

Bryson is a good and entertaining read but he is not a reliable source of accurate social history, his views being heavily influenced by his Iowan upbringing in Middle America in the 50s
            Yes, the 1980s were even worse . Perhaps you would not be shocked to learn that the 1180s were worse still. But anyone who thinks that sexism isn't alive and well today is a bit of a cretin.

Comment

Originally posted by jamesbrown View Post
              But anyone who thinks that sexism isn't alive and well today is a bit of a girl.
              FTFY

Comment

Yes, the 1980s were even worse . Perhaps you would not be shocked to learn that the 1180s were worse still. But anyone who thinks that sexism isn't alive and well today is a bit of a cretin.
                There are more important things to fix now. Sexism is illegal and policed. We have come a long way since the 50s, lets turn our attention to important stuff.

Slavery - it still exists. It didn't stop even after we abolished it 200 years ago.
                Crime - we are rubbish at stopping it or solving it.
                Poverty - we have come a long way but millions still subsist on unemployment and pay related benefits for some reason.

Comment

No, it's the ones who still think sexism and racism is OK and acceptable that's the cretin - and there are a lot of them out there. But society as a whole, certainly in the UK, is pretty much colour blind and gender blind; in general, they only get riled up when a repressed minor kicks up an unnecessary fuss over something.

The various pressure groups will one realise they win wwhen they are no longer necessary... on both sides.
                  Blog? What blog...?

Comment

No, it's the ones who still think sexism and racism is OK and acceptable that's the cretin - and there are a lot of them out there. But society as a whole, certainly in the UK, is pretty much colour blind and gender blind; in general, they only get riled up when a repressed minor kicks up an unnecessary fuss over something.

The various pressure groups will one realise they win wwhen they are no longer necessary... on both sides.
                    They're just bigger cretins. Plenty of labour force surveys point to endemic sexism, for example, and you can't explain away gender gaps with "legacy effects" or "women want different jobs or less pay". It isn't as bad, certainly, but sexism nowadays is also less Benny Hill than it used to be, so measuring it in those terms is a bit ignorant.

Comment

He wasn't reporting on social history, he was telling what was on TV. To my recollection - though I was only a kid in the 80s - it's entirely accurate to say that casual racism like that was entirely normal in 70s/80-s shows, it seemed to be viewed little worse than jokes about the Irish.

I was reading an article about Anne Robinson's new gig on Countdown which reminded us how she would joke about people's sexuality on Weakest Link, which would be an insta-fire these days.
                      Originally posted by MaryPoppins
                      I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
                      Originally posted by vetran
                      Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Working...
                      X