• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

I for one welcome our new robot underdogs

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I for one welcome our new robot underdogs

https://www.electricaldirect.co.uk/b...king-over-jobs

pretty much what I predicted.

Supermarket, hospitality and farm staff very likely to be replaced at least partially by robots.

You can see this with self service tills, kiosks and apps in McDonalds / starbucks and automated harvesters

I am surprised they believe radiographers are unlikely to be replaced. As its already been established that machines can read X-Rays better than humans. Doing that in real Time and controlling the X-Ray machine automatically makes a lot of sense. The radiographer then being replaced by a nurse/hostess.

Teachers will also be replaced at least partially by interactive tuition programs.
    Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Doomed etc: Therac 25. <- patient.
    When the fun stops, STOP.

Comment

The vast majority in the supermarket I go to don't use the automatic checkout and they still need someone to stand there and check it. I think it is highly doubtful that robots will be serving you in a restaurant or that anyone will be replaced. The benefit of the automatic check out is simply if you have a small number of goods you don't have to wait in a queue, so the supermarket benefits by increasing its turnover not through replacing people with automation.
      I'm alright Jack

Comment

Self check outs are good if you have one or two things, are paying by card and want/need to be in and out quick. They are utterly useless for processing a full shop.

Comment

Very soon computers will be programming themselves and you lot will be out of a job.
          bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
          John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Originally posted by xoggoth View Post
            Very soon computers will be programming themselves and you lot will be out of a job.
            I've always said my job could be easily replaced by a sufficiently complex macro. I've been working on said macro for years

Comment

Originally posted by xoggoth View Post
              This

https://blogs.microsoft.com/blog/202...anguage-model/

Followed by this

https://blogs.microsoft.com/ai/from-...ered-by-gpt-3/

We are already there.
              First Law of Contracting: Only the strong survive

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
                Self check outs are good if you have one or two things, are paying by card and want/need to be in and out quick. They are utterly useless for processing a full shop.
                the vast majority of shops are <10 items.

1 operator can service a dozen self service tills.
                Last edited by vetran; 29 May 2021, 13:47.

Comment

I’ll start worrying only when they begin replacing CUK posters

Comment

Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post
                    The vast majority in the supermarket I go to don't use the automatic checkout and they still need someone to stand there and check it. I think it is highly doubtful that robots will be serving you in a restaurant or that anyone will be replaced. The benefit of the automatic check out is simply if you have a small number of goods you don't have to wait in a queue, so the supermarket benefits by increasing its turnover not through replacing people with automation.
                    Self checkout allows you to get 4 - 12 times the number of customers through with one member of staff. Even Lidl have them.

Take Slough Tesco where they used to have 30 - 40 staff on trolley tills they now have 20 and 2 self checkout areas, those areas replaced about 15 trolley tills. The queues are now much shorter. Now where do you think the checkout staff have gone?

You still need checkout staff for the big shop but the trolleys don't have to wait for the basket shop. Personal experience is the supermarkets have less checkout staff than they used to. Count the empty tills at busy times.

Forbes & McD think you are wrong on kiosks it is at present moving in on fast food.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/edrensi...-hello-kiosks/

Burger king do it as well.

https://www.kioskmarketplace.com/new...sks-in-greece/

You walk up, order and wait a couple of minutes and a member of staff hands you your food. No trying to understand their accent or vice versa (or even language when travelling) There are 6 kiosks and one host(ess) in Mc Donalds Maidenhead in place of 3-5 staff at busy times. The food is prepared in the kitchen not by people handling filthy money.

I don't expect the Ritz to install a kiosk but the advantages of pre ordering via an app so your meal appears perfectly cooked 5 minutes after you sit down has a lot of customer appeal, even in mid range restaurants, its like phoning up to book / confirm a table as you are travelling to the restaurant and ordering then.

Increasing throughput in a restaurant improves profit even with silver service. With scarce slots you may be able to increase the number of covers. I would in a harvester or similar be happy to pre order via an app and not wait for my meal.

Comment

Working...
                    X