• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

I for one welcome our new robot underdogs

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post
    The vast majority in the supermarket I go to don't use the automatic checkout and they still need someone to stand there and check it. I think it is highly doubtful that robots will be serving you in a restaurant or that anyone will be replaced. The benefit of the automatic check out is simply if you have a small number of goods you don't have to wait in a queue, so the supermarket benefits by increasing its turnover not through replacing people with automation.
    Yeah, if only Amazon got your memo.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NrmMk1Myrxc

Video from 2016

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
      I’ll start worrying only when they begin replacing CUK posters
      hook a keyboard up to a slurry truck for general
      Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Yeah, if only Amazon got your memo.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NrmMk1Myrxc

Video from 2016
        You'll need more than a handful of small stores to prove this will be much better than automated check out used in all other supermarkets. Of course a small store will work this way, but not large supermarkets.
        Last edited by BlasterBates; 29 May 2021, 14:22.
        I'm alright Jack

Comment

Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post
          The vast majority in the supermarket I go to don't use the automatic checkout and they still need someone to stand there and check it. I think it is highly doubtful that robots will be serving you in a restaurant or that anyone will be replaced. The benefit of the automatic check out is simply if you have a small number of goods you don't have to wait in a queue, so the supermarket benefits by increasing its turnover not through replacing people with automation.
          Suitable RFID chips on every item would mean a whole trolley full of goods could be swiped in one go, instead of having to be manually swiped one at a time. But checkout staff might still be needed to pack the items
          Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

This episode of the X-Files was very good and I think covers what our future will be like.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hhmv8ZKR6ek

This is just the trailer, which doesn't do the episode justice as it was actually quite funny too.

Look for Season 11, Episode 7 "Rm9sbG93ZXJz"

Comment

Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post

Suitable RFID chips on every item would mean a whole trolley full of goods could be swiped in one go, instead of having to be manually swiped one at a time. But checkout staff might still be needed to pack the items
              They've been around a while. The reason they aren't used is because they're expensive and unreliable. Fine for a small store to "make a point" but not really suitable for large supermarkets on low profit margins.
              I'm alright Jack

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
                This episode of the X-Files was very good and I think covers what our future will be like.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hhmv8ZKR6ek

This is just the trailer, which doesn't do the episode justice as it was actually quite funny too.

Look for Season 11, Episode 7 "Rm9sbG93ZXJz"
                Yes.

The Future is not Written.
                When the fun stops, STOP.

Comment

I’ll start worrying only when they begin replacing CUK posters

I'm not sure if anyone has noticed, but there's already an "ask your accountant" bot on these very boards!
                  Last edited by Paralytic; 1 June 2021, 14:49.

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post

I've always said my job could be easily replaced by a two line macro. I've been working on said macro for years
                    FTFY
                    But I discovered nothing else but depraved, excessive superstition. Pliny the younger

Comment

Originally posted by Gibbon View Post

FTFY
                      If working try not to snore.
                      If not working drink

I nailed it for me.
                      Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Working...
                      X