• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Now here's heroic !

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Now here's heroic !

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-englan...shire-57113203

Nuff said...
    But I discovered nothing else but depraved, excessive superstition. Pliny the younger

Indeed a sad loss to the world.
    Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

It's such a lovely thing for the parents to do at a time of such loss.

I am in two minds as to whether people should be automatically added to the donor register. As a "take what you want and burn the scraps" type person I don't see why it's an issue but I also understand how it's difficult for families to handle the fact that their loved one is artificially kept alive to prolong organ viability.

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
        ... I also understand how it's difficult for families to handle the fact that their loved one is artificially kept alive to prolong organ viability.
        I see it as the body may be alive, but the person has gone. But I wouldn't criticise personally someone who felt differently.

I think donor registers should be opt out.

Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
          I think donor registers should be opt out.
          It already is. The law changed on 20th May 2020... I must admit I only heard about it through chats about some friends who's parents passed away with Covid. I, along with everyone else concerned had no idea either. Bit of a bad job of advertising. I'd be interested to know how many people do know.

https://www.organdonation.nhs.uk/uk-...aw-in-england/
          'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
            It already is. The law changed on 20th May 2020... I must admit I only heard about it through chats about some friends whose parents passed away with Covid. I, along with everyone else concerned had no idea either. Bit of a bad job of advertising. I'd be interested to know how many people do know.

https://www.organdonation.nhs.uk/uk-...aw-in-england/
            I remember it coming up and there were a few civil liberties types who made a fuss but it wasn't widely made public.

Comment

I remember it coming up and there were a few civil liberties types who made a fuss but it wasn't widely made public.
              To stop people opting out.
              "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

The dead have no rights in law, and in English common law no person or persons can own them - Their only lawful owner is the Earth.

So it's hard to know what sensible legal or moral objections those civil liberties types could raise.
                Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post

The dead have no rights in law, and in English common law no person or persons can own them - Their only lawful owner is the Earth.

So it's hard to know what sensible legal or moral objections those civil liberties types could raise.
                  The only complainant I remember was this one. Tenuous at best.

https://www.spectator.co.uk/article/...n-opt-out-hell

It seems her argument is partly religious, in that the soul suffers and cannot pass over if death is postponed pending organ donation, and partly "I've paid my taxes, they're not having my body too".

Comment

Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post

Communism lives on, in the form of the dead?

Comment

Working...
                    X