• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Enhanced DBS check

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Enhanced DBS check

Hi, I currently work for a firm operating in the education sector - a main contractor. I've been with them for over a year now, however, they have now applied for a enhanced DBS check - I have my form from ACRO and I can see what the police national computer says.

I have some minor convictions which are classed as spent - I did spend three months in a young offenders back in 2003 when I was 18; I was a delinquent as a youngster as I grew up in on a rough council estate. However, I spent some time on remand two years ago and was later acquitted and found not-guilty, I was in the wrong place, at the wrong time with the wrong people which seen me end up on remand, and my innocence was reflected by the not-guilty verdict.

I am concerned that it could effect my current employment as it was a politically motivated charge under the terrorism act, believe it or not. I have since settled down and put my life back together and moved on from it all. I am formally educated to degree level and my job is a professional one.

Is there any advice, I am particularly concerned about the safety of my employment?
    Last edited by meatman6000; 12 May 2021, 17:06.

Well you were found not guilty in court so in theory the time spent on remand two years ago should not show up. Though you might have to be careful how you explain this period of time on your CV (your employer might conceivably jokingly claim you were in prison - you'll need to keep a straight face!).
    https://www.carecheck.co.uk/what-doe...dbs-check-show

Comment

Nothing you can do about it now so just have to wait and see. Nothing of that sounds like an issue to me though. You were found not guilty so what's the issue?

IMO you are over thinking this and worrying yourself unnecessarily.

What you need to be more worried about is why you posted an employment question on a contractor forum and why on earth did you put it in General.
      You are most definitely in the wrong place and the wrong time with the wrong people now!
      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

[Removed]
        Last edited by vwdan; 13 May 2021, 09:06. Reason: Edit: Hands up, skim read the post and missed some critical detail

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
          Nothing you can do about it now so just have to wait and see. Nothing of that sounds like an issue to me though. You were found not guilty so what's the issue?

What you need to be more worried about is why you posted an employment question on a contractor forum and why on earth did you put it in General.
          You are most definitely in the wrong place and the wrong time with the wrong people now!
          haha forgive me my tresspass, I'm new here.

Thank you for your reply.

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post

I am trying so, so hard not to be my normal dick on this thread ..... must ... not .... respond ... to .... OP.....
            I am what I drink, and I'm a bitter man

Comment

Originally posted by meatman6000 View Post

haha forgive me my tresspass, I'm new here.

Thank you for your reply.
              As you're a newbie, you may want a quick heads up that 'general' on this forum means a free for all, hang 'em out to dry place. It's not a place for the feeble, but it is a good laugh if you have a thick skin (or in some posters cases, you're just thick)

Comment

Originally posted by Whorty View Post

As you're a newbie, you may want a quick heads up that 'general' on this forum means a free for all, hang 'em out to dry place. It's not a place for the feeble, but it is a good laugh if you have a thick skin (or in some posters cases, you're just thick)
                Put it this way, my son, I can handle it. I've came up against much worse ?

I'll post where I want to aha

Comment

Originally posted by meatman6000 View Post

Put it this way, my son, I can handle it. I've came up against much worse ?

I'll post where I want to aha
                  Fair do's Dad* ... I was trying to be helpful but hey, if you're a billy big bollox then you post where you want but don't be surprised if you don't get a serious answer in general

* Seems you're a youngster in early 30's, compared to many on here. Young enough to be my son
                  Last edited by Whorty; 13 May 2021, 15:23.

Comment

Working...
                  X