• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Price of a pint in post covid world.

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Price of a pint in post covid world.

So is there even possible to get a pint for less than £6 in London now?
    I’ve done some exploring today and apparently not.

you would have thought that after all the furlough money, grants the pub owners have received they would be more down to earth about it. But now, prices are up 20% everywhere you go.

What do you think will happen with Easyjet prices if they could only fly 50% capacity?

Comment

s
      Originally posted by GigiBronz View Post
      I’ve done some exploring today and apparently not.
      How much was a pint at a weatherspoons?

Failing that, the pubs could try some shrinkflation to trick the customers. 0.75 of a pint for £4.50, but in pint sized looking glass.
      As long as its advertised as 425ml, it should be legal.
      Last edited by Fraidycat; 8 May 2021, 21:59.

Comment

Price of gin is about the same.

Comment

Originally posted by Fraidycat View Post
          s

How much was a pint at a weatherspoons?

Failing that, the pubs could try some shrinkflation to trick the customers. 0.75 of a pint for £4.50, but in pint sized looking glass.
          As long as its advertised as 425ml, it should be legal.
          I was with a friend looking at the ‘spoons near Cutty Sark in Greenwich but the people outside looked too trash to immagine taking a seat near them. And usually I am quite laid back...
          I suppose those are the people that make the voting class.

now that I think about it, the pints that we had were not actual pints but priced as such. 0.4 at most for 5.75.

recently got a takeaway, fish no sides from a fair restaurant in the area, £18.
          next time a recruiter opens the conversation for anything less than 65k for a senior software engineer I sware that I will bring his mother to that conversation...
          Last edited by GigiBronz; 8 May 2021, 22:47.

Comment

Individual pubs don't set the prices. Especially those pubs owned by property companies. £6 a pint is pretty normal* in London, but that's to keep the northerners away...

*If you're lucky
            His heart is in the right place - shame we can't say the same about his brain...

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
              Could be linked to the fact that gin doesn't go off, so the gin stock they had pre-lockdown can still be sold. Beer though has a shelf life, and if foot fall isn't high enough to ensure turnover of the barrel, then the pubs have to price in wastage.

In all, I don't think there is much surprise about this though ...

- Supply is low (outside only, limited seating)
              - Demand high (we all want to go out for a pint)
              - Stock is perishable (can't get enough punters in to limit the wastage)
              - Pubs have shocking cashflow and need to build up reserves again

I am what I drink, and I'm a bitter man

Comment

Originally posted by GigiBronz View Post

I was with a friend looking at the ‘spoons near Cutty Sark in Greenwich but the people outside looked too trash to immagine taking a seat near them.

next time a recruiter opens the conversation for anything less than 65k for a senior software engineer I sware that I will bring his mother to that conversation...
                If you are prepared to take 65K a year for being a Senior Software Engineer in London, then best stick to 'spoons
                Last edited by Fraidycat; 9 May 2021, 10:53.

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
                  £6 for a pint of gin? Nice (hic!).
                  Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by Fraidycat View Post

If you are prepared to take 65K a year for being a Senior Software Engineer in London, then best stick to 'spoons
                    not actually. the answer is usually:
                    - contract only for smaller businesses / start-ups or anything that seems a bit shoddy.
                    - min 65k for a decent comfy perm role if wfh and decent team/tech stack.

I am getting attention, going through the interviews, but they seem to be falling short of the offer. I assume plenty of people on the market and clients expect more.
                    There is only an amount of time you could spend on the bench before going insane and I have a fair share...

Comment

Working...
                    X