• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

What bad would Johnson have to do...

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by cojak View Post
    There's a sizable chunk of the electorate that still loves him.

But the Tory party and MP's in particular - that's a different matter.

He now has 2 factions in the party - the Southern, well-off Tories who hate to put their hands in their pockets for anything other than Tory donations to keep taxes and worker's rights as low as possible, and the Northern 'red-wall' seats who are expecting him to make good on his promises and flash the cash in their direction.

Something is going to have to give in that situation, it may just be a couple of years before it does.

In the meantime, the Tory party could become the next reality tv show hit while they fight it out.
    I also forgot about HS2 tulip and B****t.
    Hehehe….
    "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
    - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Originally posted by cojak View Post

I also forgot about HS2 tulip and B****t.
      Hehehe….
      Oh you mean this - https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-englan...herts-57472032

The Liberal Democrats have pulled off a stunning by-election victory, overturning a 16,000 majority in a seat that has always voted Conservative.

Leader Ed Davey celebrated by knocking over a wall of blue bricks, claiming his party was now the "main threat" to the Tories in many areas.

The party's candidate Sarah Green won by 8,028 votes from the Tories, with the Green Party in third place.

Labour had the worst by-election result in the party's history, with 622 votes.

The result is a major boost for the Liberal Democrats after their poor performance at the 2019 general election and brings their total number of MPs at Westminster to 12.

Prime Minister Boris Johnson described the result for his party as "disappointing".

"You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
        Leader Ed Davey celebrated by knocking over a wall of blue bricks, claiming his party was now the "main threat" to the Tories in many areas.
        Bless.

Comment

Originally posted by DealorNoDeal View Post
          ...to actually cost the Tories any votes?

How about getting a 17-year old girl pregnant? Would that do it?

Or is he now virtually 100% teflon coated and, no matter what bad he does, it won't make much difference?
          Much the same as US politician Edwin Edwards

Before election day, Edwards joked with reporters: "The only way I can lose this election is if I'm caught in bed with either a dead girl or a live boy."

Edwards zinged Treen many times, once describing Treen as "so slow it takes him an hour and a half to watch 60 Minutes."

During a gubernatorial debate in 1983, Treen asked Edwards, "How come you talk out of both sides of your mouth?" Edwards instantly responded, "So people like you with only half a brain can understand me."
          Mind you, continuing mass immigration, his obstinate pursuit of the HS2 mega-project, and intent to relax planning laws, are all pissing off loads of people big time and nibbling away at Tory support. Witness their recent shock loss of Amersham, or wherever it was, some ultra-staunch Tory stronghold.
          Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Originally posted by jamesbrown View Post

Bless.
            To be fair the Lib Dems and Greens are parties that deal with local issues, and give policy ideas to the government of the day.

If Labour, who lost their deposit, want to do well they need to stop being tulip.

Comment

To be fair the Lib Dems and Greens are parties that deal with local issues, and give policy ideas to the government of the day.

If Labour, who lost their deposit, want to do well they need to stop being tulip.
              I still find it strange in the UK that people complain about our (effectively) 2 party system, and how both Tory and Labour are rubbish, but keep voting for them. I'm not saying the LibDems or Greens are the answer, but it's certainly not a Tory or Labour majority either. Personally, I'd prefer we have a coalition and parliament have to really fight to get correct policy through, rather than a couple at the top whipping the rest of their MPs to vote a certain way, even if it goes against their constituents.

The way our parliament currently works, we could get shot of 90% of MPs and just vote for a party leader who then pulls together a cabinet to run the country for 4 years (like in the US), because that's how it works anyway.
              I am what I drink, and I'm a bitter man

Comment

Originally posted by jamesbrown View Post

Bless.
                Initially I read it he was saying they were the main threat nationally which is bunk, but it's perhaps fair to say that with Labour collapsing, LDs are the competition in individual constituencies. This one seems to be an HS2 protest vote.
                Originally posted by MaryPoppins
                I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
                Originally posted by vetran
                Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post

Initially I read it he was saying they were the main threat nationally which is bunk, but it's perhaps fair to say that with Labour collapsing, LDs are the competition in individual constituencies. This one seems to be an HS2 protest vote.
                  And planning.

The Tories are relaxing planning rules so their property developer mates can build all over the Chilterns (even though there are water issues in the SE).

Comment

And planning.

The Tories are relaxing planning rules so their property developer mates can build all over the Chilterns (even though there are water issues in the SE).
                    Well the LDs and LAbour are always complaining about the huge housing shortage... until the government wants to build some houses.
                    Originally posted by MaryPoppins
                    I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
                    Originally posted by vetran
                    Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post

Well the LDs and LAbour are always complaining about the huge housing shortage... until the government wants to build some houses.
                      The problem that Tories have - and they have this issue in my area - is that they want to allow their mates to build on green spaces and build what they like.

Comment

Working...
                      X