• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "What bad would Johnson have to do..."

Collapse

• SueEllen
    replied
    Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    The amount of houses our progressive friends claim we need to build this is pretty inevitable.

my area is a staunch Labour seat. Recently, they decided to build themselves a new HQ and big carpark not just on green land, but historically protected green land in the heart of the city they are supposed to be working to reduce traffic in. So to claim this is a Tory trait is a little unfair. It's the trait of anyone who is in the position to do so.
    Probably counts as a brown field site.

​​​​​​Gardens and playgrounds are brown field so that probably is a well.

Some London councils are planning on building social housing on housing estate gardens and playgrounds. The councils just happen to be Labour....

The folk in the Chilterns are up in arms because the planning is for building on green field sites.

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied
    Originally posted by SueEllen View Post

Oh you mean this - https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-englan...herts-57472032

The Liberal Democrats have pulled off a stunning by-election victory, overturning a 16,000 majority in a seat that has always voted Conservative.

Leader Ed Davey celebrated by knocking over a wall of blue bricks, claiming his party was now the "main threat" to the Tories in many areas.

The party's candidate Sarah Green won by 8,028 votes from the Tories, with the Green Party in third place.

Labour had the worst by-election result in the party's history, with 622 votes.

The result is a major boost for the Liberal Democrats after their poor performance at the 2019 general election and brings their total number of MPs at Westminster to 12.

Prime Minister Boris Johnson described the result for his party as "disappointing".

Go back to your constituencies and get ready to disappear.

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Originally posted by cojak View Post
    some bungalows are being converted to houses .
    Literally building another floor on top? Or very low ceilings

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied

The problem that Tories have - and they have this issue in my area - is that they want to allow their mates to build on green spaces and build what they like.
    The amount of houses our progressive friends claim we need to build this is pretty inevitable.

my area is a staunch Labour seat. Recently, they decided to build themselves a new HQ and big carpark not just on green land, but historically protected green land in the heart of the city they are supposed to be working to reduce traffic in. So to claim this is a Tory trait is a little unfair. It's the trait of anyone who is in the position to do so.

Leave a comment:

• mallisarealperson
    replied
    Originally posted by cojak View Post
    Yep, following tax changes to rental income a couple of years ago, landlords have changed their business model and in my area are switching to serviced accommodation.

To make money from this they are squeezing more units into their available spaces, to the extent that some bungalows are being converted to houses and split into 2 apartments. Planning permission is proving remarkably easy to obtain.

You can imagine how well that's going down with the street's existing residents...
    Sounds like North America. But they have houses big enough to split.

Duplex and four plex.

Leave a comment:

• mallisarealperson
    replied
    Originally posted by Whorty View Post

I still find it strange in the UK that people complain about our (effectively) 2 party system, and how both Tory and Labour are rubbish, but keep voting for them. I'm not saying the LibDems or Greens are the answer, but it's certainly not a Tory or Labour majority either. Personally, I'd prefer we have a coalition and parliament have to really fight to get correct policy through, rather than a couple at the top whipping the rest of their MPs to vote a certain way, even if it goes against their constituents.

The way our parliament currently works, we could get shot of 90% of MPs and just vote for a party leader who then pulls together a cabinet to run the country for 4 years (like in the US), because that's how it works anyway.
    Agree with this.

Leave a comment:

• cojak
    replied
    Yep, following tax changes to rental income a couple of years ago, landlords have changed their business model and in my area are switching to serviced accommodation.

To make money from this they are squeezing more units into their available spaces, to the extent that some bungalows are being converted to houses and split into 2 apartments. Planning permission is proving remarkably easy to obtain.

You can imagine how well that's going down with the street's existing residents...

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied

Well the LDs and LAbour are always complaining about the huge housing shortage... until the government wants to build some houses.
    The problem that Tories have - and they have this issue in my area - is that they want to allow their mates to build on green spaces and build what they like.

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied

And planning.

The Tories are relaxing planning rules so their property developer mates can build all over the Chilterns (even though there are water issues in the SE).
    Well the LDs and LAbour are always complaining about the huge housing shortage... until the government wants to build some houses.

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied

Initially I read it he was saying they were the main threat nationally which is bunk, but it's perhaps fair to say that with Labour collapsing, LDs are the competition in individual constituencies. This one seems to be an HS2 protest vote.
    And planning.

The Tories are relaxing planning rules so their property developer mates can build all over the Chilterns (even though there are water issues in the SE).

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    Originally posted by jamesbrown View Post

Bless.
    Initially I read it he was saying they were the main threat nationally which is bunk, but it's perhaps fair to say that with Labour collapsing, LDs are the competition in individual constituencies. This one seems to be an HS2 protest vote.

Leave a comment:

• Whorty
    replied

To be fair the Lib Dems and Greens are parties that deal with local issues, and give policy ideas to the government of the day.

If Labour, who lost their deposit, want to do well they need to stop being tulip.
    I still find it strange in the UK that people complain about our (effectively) 2 party system, and how both Tory and Labour are rubbish, but keep voting for them. I'm not saying the LibDems or Greens are the answer, but it's certainly not a Tory or Labour majority either. Personally, I'd prefer we have a coalition and parliament have to really fight to get correct policy through, rather than a couple at the top whipping the rest of their MPs to vote a certain way, even if it goes against their constituents.

The way our parliament currently works, we could get shot of 90% of MPs and just vote for a party leader who then pulls together a cabinet to run the country for 4 years (like in the US), because that's how it works anyway.

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    Originally posted by jamesbrown View Post

Bless.
    To be fair the Lib Dems and Greens are parties that deal with local issues, and give policy ideas to the government of the day.

If Labour, who lost their deposit, want to do well they need to stop being tulip.

Leave a comment:

• OwlHoot
    replied
    Originally posted by DealorNoDeal View Post
    ...to actually cost the Tories any votes?

How about getting a 17-year old girl pregnant? Would that do it?

Or is he now virtually 100% teflon coated and, no matter what bad he does, it won't make much difference?
    Much the same as US politician Edwin Edwards

Before election day, Edwards joked with reporters: "The only way I can lose this election is if I'm caught in bed with either a dead girl or a live boy."

Edwards zinged Treen many times, once describing Treen as "so slow it takes him an hour and a half to watch 60 Minutes."

During a gubernatorial debate in 1983, Treen asked Edwards, "How come you talk out of both sides of your mouth?" Edwards instantly responded, "So people like you with only half a brain can understand me."
    Mind you, continuing mass immigration, his obstinate pursuit of the HS2 mega-project, and intent to relax planning laws, are all pissing off loads of people big time and nibbling away at Tory support. Witness their recent shock loss of Amersham, or wherever it was, some ultra-staunch Tory stronghold.

Leave a comment:

• jamesbrown
    replied
    Leader Ed Davey celebrated by knocking over a wall of blue bricks, claiming his party was now the "main threat" to the Tories in many areas.
    Bless.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X