• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

What bad would Johnson have to do...

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by agentzero View Post
    I see the usual right wingers are here to promote words only used by them: 'woke' being a favourite.
    You don't think 'woke' people use the word 'woke'? Because they definitely do.

I would expect the majority of people here are right-wing to some degree if only because they tend to be:
    • older
    • wealthy
    • more entrepreneurial
    than the average. It's the nature of being a contractor.
    Added to the fact that contractors have high divorce rates and are pretty familiar with exploiting tax/finance loopholes to their advantage, it's no surprise Boris gets as little stick as he does.

Originally posted by MaryPoppins
    I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
    Originally posted by vetran
    Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post

With all his powers he can't afford wallpaper to cover cracks in a very old rented flat.
      Power != money. Power means you get someone else to pay/do it and think they're coming out ahead.

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
        Power != money. Power means you get someone else to pay/do it and think they're coming out ahead.
        Power > money.

or:

Power = money + LotsOfOtherStuff

Clown Boris got neither money nor talent to convert his "power" into something tangible - pathetic piece of tulip.

Comment

No, I don't. 'Woke' is a synonym of 'empathy'.

An example of empathy missing is suggesting that black people in England don't have a difficult time getting a job when a white person of lesser ability and qualifications goes for the job. The current Tories are in denial about the reality of prejudice within England.

The main sadness for me, as someone who resides in Scotland but works across the UK, is that a high proportion of English people now seem to agree with this public relations message from the Tories that ignores complex, detailed reports that empathy is required in the UK but instead suggests that their inherent racism of the party is, unfortunately irreversible.

Too many English people are inherently racist and not enough are empathetic towards those who face prejudice. I'm white and rarely face prejudice, but of my friends down in England I know that many do face xenophobia, racism and prejudice as a result of their accent, colour of skin and various other reasons that are unacceptable in a modern world.

As to your entrepreneurial comment, I thought you were a christian? Or do you just pick and choose what parts of the bible you like the sound of?

Only narcissists think people want to help other people in order to look good, in a narcissistic fashion. Most people I know want to help others and see equity and equality, particularly for women and those of colour - mainly because those are the people who experience the brunt of issues relating to getting and maintaining work.

Wealthier people have an easier life and much more secure finances and so don't see the problems in society because of the postcode that they choose to live in. This is the reason people in rich postcodes don't realise that parts of England have been destroyed by austerity and therefore think that the Tories are doing a great old job.

Still, I suppose lots of people call themselves christians but don't truly care about their fellow countrypeople, as they prefer to live in ignorance. I see you haven't changed.

You don't think 'woke' people use the word 'woke'? Because they definitely do.

I would expect the majority of people here are right-wing to some degree if only because they tend to be:
          • older
          • wealthy
          • more entrepreneurial
          than the average. It's the nature of being a contractor.
          Added to the fact that contractors have high divorce rates and are pretty familiar with exploiting tax/finance loopholes to their advantage, it's no surprise Boris gets as little stick as he does.

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post

With all his powers he can't afford wallpaper to cover cracks in a very old rented flat.
            The fascinating thing about power is that what can be given so effortlessly can so easily be taken away.

Comment

More criticism of the Labour party has come in from one of its own MPs - and he doesn't hold back.

Khalid Mahmood - who was until a few weeks ago a shadow defence minister - says: "A London-based bourgeoisie, with the support of brigades of woke social media warriors, has effectively captured the party.

"They mean well, of course, but their politics – obsessed with identity, division and even tech utopianism – have more in common with those of Californian high society than the kind of people who voted in Hartlepool yesterday.
              ​​​​​​He doesn't sound very right wing. He's using a word you say only right wing people use.
              Let's not go into personal attacks. You don't need to lash out just because someone challenges your opinion. The petulant passive aggressive thing doesn't do you any favours

Comment

And I haven't changed since February? That's when you joined...

Comment

Obviously people read this open forum without registering. I did for 3 years before choosing to join. There is little incentive to join much of the bile here now, as the google traffic analyses highlight well.

WWJD - I sure as hell know that any god or gods would be miffed by so-called christians aligning themselves with a political Tory party that does not care about the margnalised, the needy, the desperate, the poor, those who were born with a lesser lot not of their choosing.

Still, enjoy your ivory tower; it's all you have.

And I haven't changed since February? That's when you joined...

Comment

Obviously people read this open forum without registering. I did for 3 years before choosing to join. There is little incentive to join much of the bile here now, as the google traffic analyses highlight well.

WWJD - I sure as hell know that any god or gods would be miffed by so-called christians aligning themselves with a political Tory party that does not care about the margnalised, the needy, the desperate, the poor, those who were born with a lesser lot not of their choosing.

Still, enjoy your ivory tower; it's all you have.

Can anyone analyse a website’s traffic with GA then? I’m intrigued, I thought only the website’s owner could do that.
                    "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
                    - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Looking at my own career, I can see that my ability to earn true wealth has diminished in the last twenty years. This means that those coming into contracting or our various IT industries (for the most part, on this forum, it's IT or related areas) have less earning capacity than ever before.

THAT is what you are voting for with the Tories. You are, quite literally, approving of the traditional class structure and top-heavy wealth structure of the UK. ..
                      There certainly has been a decline. But in peering through a chippy, parochial, class-obsessed lens as you seem to be doing, you have jumped to the wrong conclusion as to the reason for it.

The ultimate reason for this decline has nothing to do with the Tories, or rich greedballs in the US and most other Western countries where the same thing has been happening.

It's that other countries, mainly China, that were basket cases or poor and backward not long ago have been rapidly catching up with western countries over the last twenty or more years, and are now stealing our lunch e.g. in manufacturing!

As a result, the proximate reason is that western governments need to try and maintain their countries' competitiveness by various means, and unfortunately these obviously have the effect of driving down rates and wages. But the long-term alternative for us is nothing for any of us rich or poor.

To prove my point, wasn't the steady decline in contractors' earning power well underway in the years immediately following 1997 while Labour were in power for many years? They were using the same techniques to try and make the UK more competitive.

In any case, if you had the ability to earn "true wealth" then weren't you on the way to being part of the "top-heavy wealth structure" you are complaining about?
                      Last edited by OwlHoot; 8 May 2021, 06:02.
                      Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Working...
                      X