• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

I wonder if they thought about this before turning on the money hose?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I wonder if they thought about this before turning on the money hose?

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...d-UK-jobs.html

Thousands of EU bar and café workers reject old UK jobs: Hospitality sector in crisis as 15% of furloughed staff refuse to return after staying in home nation or taking better-paid new role
    oops.
    Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

I've seen lots of hospitality recruitment going on around my way. It's understandable that people will stay in their home countries if they had no strong ties to the UK.

15% staying away is a minority; many do want to return to their jobs when they can. It feels like a bit of a non-issue really. I reckon it was thought about when the scheme was devised. It just wasn't communicated out because the Daily Fail would have argued for the scheme to be restricted in some way and that would have lead to some disatrous outcomes if anyone listened to their bile.

Comment

We have too many cafe's and restaurants etc. anyway. Hopefully they will find more productive jobs.
      bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
      John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Originally posted by xoggoth View Post
        We have too many cafe's and restaurants etc. anyway. Hopefully they will find more productive jobs.
        Better paying jobs with better conditions more like.
        "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
        - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post
          I've seen lots of hospitality recruitment going on around my way. It's understandable that people will stay in their home countries if they had no strong ties to the UK.

15% staying away is a minority; many do want to return to their jobs when they can. It feels like a bit of a non-issue really. I reckon it was thought about when the scheme was devised. It just wasn't communicated out because the Daily Fail would have argued for the scheme to be restricted in some way and that would have lead to some disatrous outcomes if anyone listened to their bile.
          What is difficult with restricting it to people resident and available for work in the UK? Hardly bile just common sense. Its like paying benefits for children based outside the UK when their parents are working minimum wage in the UK.

I would have re-tasked the on furlough workers doing stuff we never have enough staff for.

Comment

there is an option, you know, to actually increase the wages.

even £15ph if you frequently get hours cut, have loans, expensive accommodation you are very likely at the poverty line. In the US you can flip burgers and still get $15ph, why is that not the case here?

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post

What is difficult with restricting it to people resident and available for work in the UK? Hardly bile just common sense. Its like paying benefits for children based outside the UK when their parents are working minimum wage in the UK.

I would have re-tasked the on furlough workers doing stuff we never have enough staff for.

The whole Covid support structure should have been completely overhauled by now. OK, when it was first brought in, it was an emergency, and time was of the essence - it was never going to be perfect. We're over a year into it now, and it seems to be more or less exactly the same. The potential for abuse is immense, and widely exploited. If you're furloughed, you can take another job, likewise, I believe, self-employed can take the grants and continue working. Many tradesmen are making out like bandits, with grants on top of day rates that have gone through the roof due to demand from home improvers - day rates for general builders and skilled trades around me are north of £300 now, according to my neighbour who picked the wrong time to completely rebuild his house. The flip side of all that is that there are still some people who have missed out on support entirely, along with many who just continued the 9-5 grind for the same money whilst watching half of their friends take a year off. I'm not bitter, honest!

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post

Those people were resident and available for work. They then moved back to whatever country they were born in rather than spend months in a crummy bedsit on their own.

During lockdown, what services were open that were understaffed?

Comment

A nation of baristas and burger flippers.

First Law of Contracting: Only the strong survive

Comment

Originally posted by mattster View Post

The whole Covid support structure should have been completely overhauled by now. OK, when it was first brought in, it was an emergency, and time was of the essence - it was never going to be perfect. We're over a year into it now, and it seems to be more or less exactly the same. The potential for abuse is immense, and widely exploited. If you're furloughed, you can take another job, likewise, I believe, self-employed can take the grants and continue working. Many tradesmen are making out like bandits, with grants on top of day rates that have gone through the roof due to demand from home improvers - day rates for general builders and skilled trades around me are north of £300 now, according to my neighbour who picked the wrong time to completely rebuild his house. The flip side of all that is that there are still some people who have missed out on support entirely, along with many who just continued the 9-5 grind for the same money whilst watching half of their friends take a year off. I'm not bitter, honest!
                    Precisely my wife is a child minder and many have claimed the support and had a year off or taken the grants and made money on top. Making them contingent on reduced turnover and profit on the tax return would be easy. It is literally a money hose.

Comment

Working...
                    X