• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

What is your oldest PC stil in use?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What is your oldest PC stil in use?

Old tech still works.

At the moment writing this on a lenovo t60 ~2007, 3GB RAM, 60GB SSD from 2011, pentium T7200 @ 2Ghz.

Running Lubuntu 20.10.

Teams and firefox and it will max the RAM and swap of 1 GB.

Plays 1080p YT videos almost just fine .

Still usable though and the best keyboard ever made. I have forgotten how nice this keyboard is and I am thinkpad fan.

100 % good for RDP to my home beefy laptop which is too heavy to carry around.
    Last edited by gisp; 22 April 2021, 11:55.

There's a PC XT upstairs but it's unusable due to HD failure.

There's 10Mb that's gone up in smoke.

The 40Mb HD in the 286 I built died last year.

I paid £155 for that.
    When the fun stops, STOP.

Comment

We've got a Dell Inspiron 546 bought back in 2011 still going. Too slow for me but the missus is quite happy using it doing her school work prep on it. I think we've had our 400 quids worth out of it!
      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

My PC must be 15 years old. New motherboard, graphics card, HDs, monitors, keyboards, mice... but the same case.
        Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

I have a +2 and a +3 in the loft that might still work, but that doesn't count and there are probably some here that can go way earlier than 1984-ish

NF has a new ZX Spectrum Next...

Comment

My kit is all pretty new. I don't hang onto stuff once it passes out of regular use.

Comment

All stuff here is about 2 years old.
              Former IPSE member
              My Website

Comment

I've got a Vic20 and cassette recorder in the cupboard. That count?
                'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
                  We've got a Dell Inspiron 546 bought back in 2011 still going. Too slow for me but the missus is quite happy using it doing her school work prep on it. I think we've had our 400 quids worth out of it!
                  Erm .... I know it's usually rude to ask a lady her age but I think this is a time we need to know .. just in case we need to call in the old bill
                  I am what I drink, and I'm a bitter man

Comment

Should I mention the Science of Cambridge MK14 that's sitting in the cupboard upstairs?

Not that it works but there you go.

1978 (though I'd have to look at the date codes on the chips to confirm that).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MK14

Apparently one could control a nuclear power station with it according to Sinclair's rather optimistic ads, it have IIRC 512 bytes* of memory to run code in.

There's a thing that looks like a Softy 1 eprom programmer up there too.

*I didn't. It's 256 bytes.

Even more oddly considering how obsolete all the chips are, people make replicas of the MK14, then have to find some way of programming the 4 bit roms**.

**Assuming they've found a source of supply of 4 bit roms.

The chips in the MK14 are dated 1978, with 1978 week 39 among the latest.

The pcb is Issu II.

Then again, I've also got a Jupiter Ace from 1983:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_f...cambridge+mk14

Stone me, who'd have thunk all those Z80 books were worth money?

Last edited by DoctorStrangelove; 22 April 2021, 17:20.
                    When the fun stops, STOP.

Comment

Working...
                    X