• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Chauvin Verdict

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

oh dear..

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...ne-Waters.html

'Maxine Waters may have handed defense grounds for appeal and the turning over of this trial': Derek Chauvin trial judge blasts 'abhorrent' Democrat for calling for riots if no conviction
    • Derek Chauvin's defense attorney Eric Nelson called for a mistrial after the jury retired on Monday
    • He cited Rep Maxine Waters' comments on the case as he argued that there was no way the jury could be unbiased given constant media coverage
    • 'Now that we have US representatives threatening acts of violence in relation to this trial it’s frankly mind-blowing,' Nelson said
    • Judge Peter Cahill replied: 'I grant that Congresswoman Waters may have given you something on appeal that may result in this whole trial being overturned'
    • But Cahill refused to grant a mistrial and adjourned the court until the jury comes back with a verdict
    Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

And creepy joe starts to pitch in

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...nneapolis.html

Biden says the evidence is 'overwhelming' in Derek Chauvin's trial and is 'praying for the right verdict' after he called George Floyd's family
      • President Joe Biden said he is praying for the 'right verdict' in George Floyd trial and called the evidence 'overwhelming’
      • 'I'm praying the verdict is the right verdict. Which is – I think it's overwhelming in my view,' he said
      • White House press secretary Jen Psaki said Biden wasn't weighing in on the verdict but expressing concern about the Floyd family
      • Philonise told Today that Biden called him as the jury was sent to deliberate on Derek Chauvin's verdict
      • 'He was just letting us know that he was praying for us,' Floyd's brother said in an interview with Today
      • Philonise said he is 'optimistic' about the verdict and 'hopefully it will be the way the world wants to see it'
      • 'We just want everyone to be peaceful', he added as the US braces for the outcome of the trial
      • He also said: 'If a Black man can't get justice for this, what can a Black man get justice for?'
      • Philonise spoke out as the jury began their second day of deliberations
      • Fury is also growing over Maxine Waters' call for BLM protesters to be 'more confrontational' in Minneapolis
      • Democrats have defended Waters' comments and the White House has refused to condemn her
      • GOP House Minority Leader Kevin McCarthy has introduced a motion to censure her for 'inciting violence'
      whatever happened to Presidents not interfering with the judiciary?

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post
        whatever happened to Presidents not interfering with the judiciary?
        Didn't Trump create a prescedent? Anyway, presidents appoint supreme judges, so they've always interfered. Aren't you glad we have a unelected non-political head of state?
        Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Oh dear, clearly old Biden (who isn't real President) swung the court.

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post

Didn't Trump create a prescedent? Anyway, presidents appoint supreme judges, so they've always interfered. Aren't you glad we have a unelected non-political head of state?
            it was wrong when Trump did it but that doesn't give Biden a free pass.

Comment

Guilty
              https://www.bbc.co.uk/news
              However, I expect him to win on appeal.
              "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

Wanting the right verdict is a good thing. Talking about "over-whelming evidence", implying guilt, is a bad thing. However:

Mr Biden spoke in more detail about the call at the White House on Tuesday. "I can only imagine the pressure and anxiety they are feeling," he said of the family.

"I waited until the jury was sequestered and I called [them]," he said. "They're calling for peace... no matter what that verdict is."

"I'm praying the verdict is the right verdict," Mr Biden added. "I think it's overwhelming in my view."
                So there's no question of him attempting to influence the verdict. He didn't. The verdict was guilty, btw. Next, the appeal:

Originally posted by The Times
                Chauvin, who had been on bail, was led out of the courtroom in handcuffs. He will be sentenced later and is expected to appeal. The judge suggested on Monday that comments by a Democratic congresswoman gave grounds to argue for the trial to be overturned.
                Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Either it sets a precident that no officer will dare arrest a drugged up criminal because they will be sacked if anything goes even slightly wrong.

Or the only people who will apply to become police officers will be totally unsuitable for the role.

Bit like how MP's get elected.

Comment

Originally posted by Lost It View Post
                    Either it sets a precident that no officer will dare arrest a drugged up criminal because they will be sacked if anything goes even slightly wrong.

Or the only people who will apply to become police officers will be totally unsuitable for the role.

Bit like how MP's get elected.
                    Surely even drugged up criminals have certain rights? Should we still not treat them like humans? If not, why don't we just shoot to kill and be done with it?

The cop knelt on has neck for 9 minutes. If a cop can't control a criminal and make a safe arrest in 9 minutes then there is something seriously wrong ... no?

I am what I drink, and I'm a bitter man

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
                      Wanting the right verdict is a good thing. Talking about "over-whelming evidence", implying guilt, is a bad thing. However:

So there's no question of him attempting to influence the verdict. He didn't. The verdict was guilty, btw. Next, the appeal:
                      If he had admitted that he believes there is an issue and he is instigating a project to solve police accountability would be fine. Commenting for or against a specific verdict no.

Comment

Working...
                      X