• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Charity Shops: "We don't want the sh!t you found in the back of your shed"

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Charity Shops: "We don't want the sh!t you found in the back of your shed"

Charity shops tell donors: 'Think before giving'

People should call and check before they drop off donations at charity shops, a trade association has warned....

...Be thoughtful - is this stuff you'd be prepared to buy yourself?
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-56746310

I think my suggested headline is what they really mean.

Years ago I dropped a load of old IT / programming books off at a charity 2nd hand book store.

The store owner tool one look at them and said "straight to recycling, on one will buy that dull crap, who the hell reads this type of stuff?"
    First Law of Contracting: Only the strong survive

Comment

You ever volunteered for any of these type of charities?

What sells is frequently miles away from what the public want to bring in.

Same with the foodbanks. If the public had their way hungry people would live solely on XXXXX Value Pasta. Luckily many supermarkets match donations and allow you to swap.

https://www.trusselltrust.org/get-in...e/donate-food/

If all else fails throw in soap & female hygiene products in.

Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by _V_ View Post
        Years ago I dropped a load of old IT / programming books off at a charity 2nd hand book store.

The store owner tool one look at them and said "straight to recycling, on one will buy that dull crap, who the hell reads this type of stuff?"
        VB6 for the Dim?

Comment

I know some of the stuff I've donated to my local charity shop has sold because they send me an email telling me how much they've raised from the items I've dropped off. They don't say what sold vs what didn't but it's good to know they've gained a few hundred quid.

Comment

Also anything going to recycling will probably cost them money, since they have to use licensed disposal carriers...
            Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Originally posted by _V_ View Post

NLUK

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post
                If the public had their way hungry people would live solely on XXXXX Value Pasta.

<snip>

If all else fails throw in soap & female hygiene products in.

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post

VB6 for the Dim?
                  Click image for larger version

Name:	55tirp.jpg
Views:	168
Size:	51.3 KB
ID:	4157693
                  First Law of Contracting: Only the strong survive

Comment

Charity shops and clearance are not the same thing. I was happy when the clearance guy gave me £5 after taking everything from my in-laws ex council house. I think he made about £100 on the decent stuff, but it took him three hours. Back in 1991.
                    Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Working...
                    X