• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Is it because I isn't black enough?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is it because I isn't black enough?

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...lack-real.html

BBC diversity chief says Idris Elba's TV detective Luther 'isn't black enough to be real' because 'he doesn't have any black friends and doesn't eat any Caribbean food'
    • Miranda Wayland said the hit BBC crime drama was only superficially diverse
    • Bosses are now looking to portray minority groups in a more convincing way
    • BBC will spend £100m of content budget on diverse programming over 3 years
    seriously?
    Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Originally posted by vetran View Post
    Makes sense to me. What they basically have is a 'white' character played by a black man. If you're going to create a black character then surely he/she needs to be culturally correct too?

Try not to get too triggered though, eh?
    I am what I drink, and I'm a bitter man

Comment

Originally posted by Whorty View Post
      What they basically have is a 'white' character played by a black man. If you're going to create a black character then surely he/she needs to be culturally correct too?
      I'm not entirely convinced that dark skin is a culture.

The script was written without any particular colour skin in mind, according to the author. They cast someone with dark skin because they're not racist. Only, according to Wayland, they are racist because they didn't write a black character, who likes Caribbean food and has friends of the same colour.

If they'd cast a half English, one quarter Vietnamese, one quarter Huong Chinese, would we expect that culture? And exactly how are they supposed to behave? Mmm... beginning to sound like cultural stereotypes which is of course also racist.

Personally, I'm in favour of colour blindness.
      Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
        I'm not entirely convinced that dark skin is a culture.

The script was written without any particular colour skin in mind, according to the author. They cast someone with dark skin because they're not racist. Only, according to Wayland, they are racist because they didn't write a black character, who likes Caribbean food and has friends of the same colour.

If they'd cast a half English, one quarter Vietnamese, one quarter Huong Chinese, would we expect that culture? And exactly how are they supposed to behave? Mmm... beginning to sound like cultural stereotypes which is of course also racist.

Personally, I'm in favour of colour blindness.
        I have no problem with colour blindness, but don't you find it 'funny' (not of the ha ha type) that the cultural norm used is that of a white Brit and not of a Brit from a different heritage.

Skin colour is not cultural, you're right, but West Indian heritage would certainly be - rice and peas, or spicy chicken, for example would be on the menu at least once a week, if my mates down in the smoke are anything to judge by (and who doesn't like rice and peas?!?)
        I am what I drink, and I'm a bitter man

Comment

I'm also concerned the characters are emitting too much carbon. I didn't see any of them offsetting or looking to join XR?
          First Law of Contracting: Only the strong survive

Comment

Life was so much easier in the 80s.

Comment

...but West Indian heritage would certainly be - rice and peas, or spicy chicken, for example would be on the menu at least once a week, if my mates down in the smoke are anything to judge by (and who doesn't like rice and peas?!?)
              Odd. Me and my West Indian friend are always going out for a curry. (in normal times). And his wife cooks the most amazing Mexican food.

Btw. I love rice and peas. I never knew it it was Carribean.

The point that Wayland should be making - and is failing to do so - is that Luther <> cultural diversity. But also recognise that Idris Elba being cast in that role is a good thing for diversity.

I stand by my sig.

Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

The rules change daily, how do you even keep up, it's no wonder they are constantly swallowing their own, they can't even keep up.

Comment

Makes sense to me. What they basically have is a 'white' character played by a black man. If you're going to create a black character then surely he/she needs to be culturally correct too?

Try not to get too triggered though, eh?
                  Am I understanding correctly, you think the character should have played up to racial stereotypes, which are held by you (I assume a white man)?

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post
                    Must sound sexist, but I've noticed that the sanctimonious attention seekers who raise these ridiculous vexatious criticisms are nearly always women

2021-04-14 White XR eco-warrior claims giving pupils too much dairy is 'RACIST' in row over plant-based food on school menus because 'many in BAME community suffer with lactose intolerance'
                    Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Working...
                    X