• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Asda Screwed Over Equal Pay

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by d000hg View Post

You don't get paid based on how hard you have to work. In fact physically gruelling jobs pay less.
    Someone running a forklift is a skilled worker, etc, but just lugging stuff about on pallet loaders all day is just labouring.
    The latter is being replaced with machines.

"You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post

The latter is being replaced with machines.
      So are checkout workers.
      Originally posted by MaryPoppins
      I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
      Originally posted by vetran
      Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

So are checkout workers.
        Just need machines for stock delivery and stock replenishment....

Comment

What point? Surely they should put the warehouse guys on the tills if that's the case.
          Yes, they would. Well done on the critical thinking.

Comment

Originally posted by LondonManc View Post

I've worked in both environments and the judge hasn't a clue.
            Quick, get onto Asda's lawyers. I'm sure they could use the benefit of your wisdom and knowledge to get this overturned.

Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

I'd doff my cap to Asda if they respond by dropping the wages of the warehouse workers. That would fix it.
              'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
                I'd doff my cap to Asda if they respond by dropping the wages of the warehouse workers. That would fix it.
                It wouldn't as they are still liable for years of back pay.

Councils in Scotland and England found they were liable for years of back pay when they lost equal pay actions. In their cases it was jobs like social care workers being equal to binmen.

Comment

You are aware in most supermarkets staff do more than just man the checkouts? How do you think the shelves get filled?
                  No, despite working there for a few years, I had no idea. You are aware that's probably the stupidest question you've ever asked?

By the way, it was never the girls sent out to collect the trolleys from the car park in the pouring rain or into the frozen store to get the stock to put in the frozen aisle. In today's society, it could be construed as sexist, but I bet it still wouldn't be.
                  The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Originally posted by LondonManc View Post

No, despite working there for a few years, I had no idea. You are aware that's probably the stupidest question you've ever asked?

By the way, it was never the girls sent out to collect the trolleys from the car park in the pouring rain or into the frozen store to get the stock to put in the frozen aisle. In today's society, it could be construed as sexist, but I bet it still wouldn't be.
                    Blame the management.

Oh and supermarket delivery drivers count as supermarket.

Comment

Blame the management.

Oh and supermarket delivery drivers count as supermarket.
                      Whoooosh. The lads collected trolleys, went on the tills, worked on the cold store, stacked shelves. The girls worked on the tills, stacked shelves. Same pay for being less versatile?

Supermarket delivery drivers - to or from? You mean the home delivery people? Instantly should be on more because they're more qualified and face more risk.
                      To the supermarket? Need a HGV licence so will definitely be on more. Either that or we put everyone in a job on £70k a year including top execs and treat all jobs as contributing to society.
                      The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world that he didn't exist

Comment

Working...
                      X