• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Pondy & I are screwed

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Who can afford to eat meat anyway?

https://www.theguardian.com/environm...mate-emergency

The levy, which would increase the price of a steak by about 25%, would be phased in over the next decade. The report focuses on EU countries and was produced for the Tapp Coalition of health, environment and animal welfare organisations. It says “fair pricing” for meat should be included in the forthcoming European “green new deal” and so-called farm to fork strategy.

The report, produced by environmental research group CE Delft, analysed the costs of greenhouse gas emissions, other air and water pollution, and losses of wildlife associated with livestock production. It estimated that covering these costs would increase the price of beef by €0.47 (40p) per 100g. This would increase the cost of a 227g supermarket steak in the UK by about 25%.
    Not only are you killing yourselves eating meat, killing animals, you are also killing the planet.

#ClimateEmergency
    First Law of Contracting: Only the strong survive

Comment

Originally posted by _V_ View Post

I can.

Not only are you killing yourselves eating meat, killing animals, you are also killing the planet.

#ClimateEmergency
      bleeding veggie snowflake.

Comment

Originally posted by BR14 View Post

bleeding veggie snowflake.
        Planet killing gammon (eater)!
        First Law of Contracting: Only the strong survive

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post

^this

You need to know what the baseline risk is before you start worrying about the impact of any increase in that risk.

It'll probably turn out that the increased risk is not worth the disappointment that comes with a life without bacon.
          Compared to most of these types of articles, where the baseline risk is indeed tiny, the risk of dementia is rather large (1 in 6 by the age of 80). Still probably not worth giving up bacon for, though.

Comment

#ClimateEmergency
            I'm sure the EU will "pony" up.
            Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Not only are you killing yourselves eating meat, killing animals, you are also killing the planet
              Ah well, you got one out of three right.
              Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Gawd! All these frightening health stories. I hope there's no risk to eating raspberries, couldn't survive without them.
                bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
                John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
                  You are going to have to eat vegan bacon and veggie sausages.
                  Little willies..."taste just like the real thing"...

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
                    You are going to have to eat vegan's bacon and veggie's sausages.
                    FTFY.

I consider it my duty to eat the pigs that veggie/vegans leave behind.

England's greatest sailor since Nelson lost the armada.

Comment

Working...
                    X