• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

DOOM: IT Engineers have "High-Vulnerability Jobs".

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

DOOM: IT Engineers have "High-Vulnerability Jobs".

Bricklayers and restaurant staff are among the workers most likely to have suffered a pay cut due to the Covid pandemic, analysis suggests.

IT engineers and air travel assistants are also on the list put together by the Office for National Statistics (ONS).

They are among non-key workers who are unlikely to have been able to work from home.

The ONS classed these occupations as "high-vulnerability jobs".
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-56296524

WTF is an "IT Engineer"?
    "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
      WTF is an "IT Engineer"?
      Someone who worked in IT in the 1980s

Comment

WTF is an "IT Engineer"?
        Given the reference to them not being able to work from home, I suspect its the folk who replace keyboards from users who spill coffee on them.

Comment

WTF is an "IT Engineer"?
          Keyboard fitter. a.k.a. PsychoCandy
          See You Next Tuesday

Comment

odd they are on the shortage list for immigration if their wages have fallen. Bet its so employers can try to cut wages based on this.

Agents contact me regularly and want to pay more than I am earning through the pandemic. Not seeing wages go down.
            Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post
              odd they are on the shortage list for immigration if their wages have fallen. Bet its so employers can try to cut wages based on this.

Agents contact me regularly and want to pay more than I am earning through the pandemic. Not seeing wages go down.
              Was there ever any other reason? When employers bleat on about "not enough skilled workers available" the unsaid part is always "..at the price we are willing to pay.".

Comment

Originally posted by mattster View Post

Was there ever any other reason? When employers bleat on about "not enough skilled workers available" the unsaid part is always "..at the price we are willing to pay.".
                Agree completely, maybe our government should point that out and encourage training.
                Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Radiation leaks in engines are common, so pretty dangerous work if you can get it...

Comment

WTF is an "IT Engineer"?
                    Well someone has to keep all those punch card readers working - The whole country would grind to a halt otherwise!
                    Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Working...
                    X