• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

If you have an Irish surname...

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If you have an Irish surname...

... you are probably banned from Pontins like the Gallagher brothers of Oasis fame and the Nolan sisters.

https://inews.co.uk/news/uk/pontins-...es-ehrc-892968

The list was uploaded to the Pontins intranet under the heading “Undesirable Guests”, instructing call handlers that people using these names were “unwelcome”

Holiday firm Pontins has agreed to change its working practices and culture after a whistleblower revealed it was operating a blacklist as part of a system of routine discrimination against Gypsy and Traveller families.

An investigation by the Equality and Human Rights Commission (EHRC) found that the company had been using the blacklist of mainly Irish surnames as part of a policy of refusing bookings by Gypsies and Travellers to its holiday parks.

The list, seen by i, was uploaded to the Pontins intranet under the heading “Undesirable Guests”, instructing call handlers that people using these names were “unwelcome”.

Surnames on the list included Boyle, Delaney, Gallagher, McGinley, McMahon and O’Donnell, with staff told “we do not want these guests on our parks”.

The Britannia Hotel Group, which owns Pontins, has now signed a legally binding agreement with the EHRC to comprehensively address the issues raised by the whistleblower.

The agreement requires Britannia Jinky Jersey Ltd to investigate the blacklist, review the firm’s booking policies and run annual equality and diversity training for staff.

The EHRC said that by declining to provide its services to guests of a certain race or ethnic group, Pontins was “directly discriminating on the basis of race” and had “breached the Equality Act”.

Gypsies and Travellers are recognised as distinct racial groups under the 2010 Act, which covers England, Scotland and Wales, protecting them against discrimination.

"You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Isn't being banned from Pontins more than anything a badge of honour?!
    Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Oh dear. I won't be welcome there then.
      bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
      John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Lets see what they do with me.
        Former IPSE member
        My Website

Comment

Thank God for that - no chance of ending up there by accident

Comment

<snobbery>I suspect travellers attending would up the quality of their clients.</snobbery>

One wonders why they don't want those nice travelling people?
            Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post

One wonders why they don't want those nice travelling people?
              You can wonder but it's illegal plus stupid as it excludes loads of normal people...

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post

You can wonder but it's illegal plus stupid as it excludes loads of normal people...
                You think Travellers aren't normal???? stone her!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post

You think Travellers aren't normal???? stone her!!!!
                  I'm not sure what Travellers and Gypsies call us permanent house dwelling people as the words I've found are offensive.

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post

I'm not sure what Travellers and Gypsies call us permanent house dwelling people as the words I've found are offensive.
                    oh they don't like us much, which is why they don't recognise our laws until they want to i.e. it is to their advantage.

Comment

Working...
                    X