• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!
Collapse

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "If you have an Irish surname..."

Collapse

• Gibbon
    replied
    Originally posted by SueEllen View Post

We don't have a written constitution in the UK so why should travelling folk have one?
    Sorry lazy wording, we do have written law though, in numerous acts of parliament and also in case law.
    To make a new

Act of Parliament
    , the highest form of law, both Houses must read, amend, or approve proposed legislation three times and the monarch must give their consent. The judiciary interprets and develops the law found in Acts of Parliament or previous cases.

If you are ever bored:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Consti...om#Rule_of_law

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    Originally posted by vetran View Post
    I just suddenly realised its a busman's holiday!

Travellers booking a break in a mobile home
    Apparently they now have bungalows as well as apartments.

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post

No. But that's to be expected in a modern society. For the same reason Sharia isn't recognised as legal. Despite some ill-informed people occasionally claiming it is.
    The matter is complicated - https://fullfact.org/law/uks-sharia-courts/

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied
    I just suddenly realised its a busman's holiday!

Travellers booking a break in a mobile home

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied
    Originally posted by Gibbon View Post

Unless you can show some written constitution, they have no law just arbitrary customs
    We don't have a written constitution in the UK so why should travelling folk have one?

Leave a comment:

• Gibbon
    replied

Do we recognise their laws?
    Unless you can show some written constitution, they have no law just arbitrary customs

Leave a comment:

• psychocandy
    replied
    Keeps Ben Stokes away as well....

Leave a comment:

• NotAllThere
    replied

No. But that's to be expected in a modern society. For the same reason Sharia isn't recognised as legal. Despite some ill-informed people occasionally claiming it is.

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied

oh they don't like us much, which is why they don't recognise our laws until they want to i.e. it is to their advantage.

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied

I'm not sure what Travellers and Gypsies call us permanent house dwelling people as the words I've found are offensive.
    oh they don't like us much, which is why they don't recognise our laws until they want to i.e. it is to their advantage.

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied

You think Travellers aren't normal???? stone her!!!!
    I'm not sure what Travellers and Gypsies call us permanent house dwelling people as the words I've found are offensive.

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied

You can wonder but it's illegal plus stupid as it excludes loads of normal people...
    You think Travellers aren't normal???? stone her!!!!

Leave a comment:

• SueEllen
    replied

One wonders why they don't want those nice travelling people?
    You can wonder but it's illegal plus stupid as it excludes loads of normal people...

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied
    <snobbery>I suspect travellers attending would up the quality of their clients.</snobbery>

One wonders why they don't want those nice travelling people?

Leave a comment:

• NickFitz
    replied
    Thank God for that - no chance of ending up there by accident

Leave a comment:

Working...
X