• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

What frightening experiences have you had?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by OwlHoot View Post
    Tootling along the North Devon Link Road (the A361) a year or two ago, I veered gradually a towards the central white line, and as I was about to correct this, a car zoomed past on the other side, also near the white line, and missed my car by about a foot. It must have been doing at least 120 MPH!
    You've reminded me of a more recent scare! But still over 6 years old, as I was living in Sussex-by-the-sea at the time and commuting to Heathrow (delightful journey, I miss it not).

Those familiar with the A24 northbound will be able to picture it well. I've just finished the single carriageway section at the Clarke's Green roundabout. People in the know, know this is where it goes to dual carriageway and, if you've been stuck behind someone who can't drive round bends, you're pretty frustrated at this point. So, like many people do, I popped into the outside lane so I could get progress with my journey.

In the middle of the dual carriageway is quite a large area of grass as a central reservation. If you're approaching from the west, on Coles Lane, you can only turn left and cannot cut over the central reservation to join the A24 south or continue on Coles Lane. However, on this day, as I'm hurtling up the outside lane, someone ignores the road layout and road signs and turns right onto the northbound A24, to head south.

For a couple of seconds I think "I'm dead". Then they pull over onto the central reservation. I don't stop, I just shakily carry on and wonder what the hell that person was thinking.

Comment

Mates from home taking me back to college in Leicester (they were staying a few days). Bombing up the dual carriageway near monmouth is mates knackered old chevette.

No central reservation barrier. Had blow out at 100 mph on a not so straight bit. Mate lost if, swerved over central res into oncoming lane, bus coming, swerved back onto grass central res and stopped. Stupid arse had tyres so bald the wires were sticking out.

Must admit had to visit the next service station toilets after that one!
      Rhyddid i lofnod psychocandy!!!!

Comment

1. Stuck in the Atacama desert at 4000m altitude on a road where maybe 1 car per day passed, we walked 15 km to a town which had luckily a few inhabitants.
        2. Flying in a small propeller aircraft (think it was a Fokker F50) approaching Heathrow too close behind a 747. The turbulence caused by the 747 made the aircraft first flip 90 degrees on its right side, came straight and flipped immediately 90 degrees on its left side. Right above the houses of parliament

Comment

Originally posted by Eirikur View Post
          1. Stuck in the Atacama desert at 4000m altitude on a road where maybe 1 car per day passed, we walked 15 km to a town which had luckily a few inhabitants.
          2. Flying in a small propeller aircraft (think it was a Fokker F50) approaching Heathrow too close behind a 747. The turbulence caused by the 747 made the aircraft first flip 90 degrees on its right side, came straight and flipped immediately 90 degrees on its left side. Right above the houses of parliament
          I bet anyone who saw #2 probably thought you were messing about / showing off

Comment

a rotten water-logged huge oak tree keeled over not 50 feet behind me and landed with a deafing crash, across the path at the spot I had been walking on only ten seconds earlier
            Wasn't that close and can't say it scared me but, a few years ago, a big tree came down over a footpath I'd been on a few minutes earlier. I wasn't walking, I was volunteering clearing the woodland, so had been past there a few times that morning.

I did also once have police knock on my door one morning when I rented a cheap flat during a contract in Cheltenham, think some drug dealing thing had been going on there.
            bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
            John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Originally posted by ladymuck View Post

I bet anyone who saw #2 probably thought you were messing about / showing off
              You saying ElReeker was being a silly fokker?
              Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

The other week I was working on a light-fitting that's being erratic. Testing the switch and fitting, turning the circuit on and off, etc. I wired the light fitting back on to the little tool-less connectors and then realised I'd got mixed up and the breaker was on... handling the live wire up a ladder I very luckily didn't touch the conductor. I'm normally super-careful and double-check all these things too.
                Originally posted by MaryPoppins
                I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
                Originally posted by vetran
                Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

I was returning from Dorset (visiting a client) there was a little white van pulling a caravan in the inside lane, it started to snake so I backed off a bit , he lost it and the caravan and van rolled across the three carriageways I then slammed on the brakes, hit the horn and applied the hazard lights, he hit the central reservation and rolled back to the hard shoulder. It ended up with the van upside down with the caravan battered but the right way up. The occupants got out and seemed ok.

My Brake linings were 2 mm thinner and I stopped for a smoke.

Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

oh, dear, you lot Do scare easily

Comment

Originally posted by xoggoth View Post
                      Reminded of this today. I'm replacing door knobs in my house and went into my small downstairs closet, then realised I'd left the knob outside.
                      Make up your mind!

Comment

Working...
                      X