• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

What frightening experiences have you had?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What frightening experiences have you had?

Reminded of this today. I'm replacing door knobs in my house and went into my small downstairs closet, then realised I'd left the knob outside. Had not shut the door fortunately otherwise I'd have been trapped in there. The door opens inwards so no amount of barging would have opened it and there was nothing I could have used to operate the latch. Some years ago, the garage door broke when I was in there and had to use a torch and some tools to remove a section.

Back in my hitchhiking days I climbed down a cliff in Greece knowing it would not be easy to get back up but thinking I could just walk up the valley from the bottom. Then found I was stuck over a steep drop I hadn't noticed. On the difficult climb back up I found my face 6 inches from a hole with a huge snake looking out.

Once in Devon or Cornwall I scrambled up a tiny cave thinking it was ok going up as would be easy to get back down. Got to a largish open area with just a dangerous looking pit in one corner and turned to go back down. There were three different exits and I wasn't sure which one I'd come up. Luckily I chose the right one.
    bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
    John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Couple of times when cojak gave me an infraction...

Comment

I think the only time I've had a fright was when having a go at rock climbing in mid-Wales somewhere. It was one of those 'red letter day' type things I'd bought for my ex because he wanted to have a go. I figured I may as well try it too, cos why not!

Our task was to climb up a short way and then lean back onto the rope and walk back down, to get a feel for how it's done. I climbed up with no issues, probably about 15-20 feet - not too high, all good. The instructor then takes the weight of the rope and then you walk down backwards. The trick is to not let your legs get above your head. To avoid that requires you to walk quick enough and your instructor to not let the rope out too fast.

Either I was too slow, or the instructor was too quick.

One minute I was doing ok, the next I was dangling upside down looking way down into the valley below. I yelped. It echoed quite a lot.

I decided to hell with this walking malarkey, I'm climbing down. So that's what I did.

Comment

Sitting on the tracker (bait) seat on the Landy in Africa when 2 female lions walked up to me and just sat in front of me looking at me. So close I could have patted them on their heads. No one in the Landy had a clue what they planned, total silence, Rach was a smidge worried. Thankfully a 3rd lioness with them carried on in a different direction and they followed her. That was fun!!

Had to climb trees from Rhinos, and bail from elephant tracking when they came for us.

Having a knife pulled on me in London wasn't fun, nor being involved in an armed car hijacking in Nairobi, but I'm still here to tell the tail so in hindsight not all bad I guess.
        I am what I drink, and I'm a bitter man

Comment

Originally posted by Whorty View Post
          nor being involved in an armed car hijacking in Nairobi
          And have you thought how the victims of the hijacking felt?

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post

And have you thought how the victims of the hijacking felt?

If they'd have just handed over the bag then maybe I wouldn't have had to pull the gun
            I am what I drink, and I'm a bitter man

Comment

Too many to mention when you've owned a motorbike for most of your adult life.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr Blonde View Post

I told 'em not to touch the alarm... but they touched it. If they hadn't done what I told 'em not to do, they'd still be alive.
                FTFY

Comment

Originally posted by jamesbrown View Post
                  Yeh. I used to own motorbikes. Lost me confidence after three falls on ice.
                  bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
                  John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Originally posted by jamesbrown View Post
                    Originally posted by xoggoth View Post

Yeh. I used to own motorbikes. Lost me confidence after three falls on ice.
                    no comment, officer!

Comment

Working...
                    X