• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You are not logged in or you do not have permission to access this page. This could be due to one of several reasons:

• You are not logged in. If you are already registered, fill in the form below to log in, or follow the "Sign Up" link to register a new account.
  • You may not have sufficient privileges to access this page. Are you trying to edit someone else's post, access administrative features or some other privileged system?
  • If you are trying to post, the administrator may have disabled your account, or it may be awaiting activation.

Previously on "What frightening experiences have you had?"

Collapse

• vetran
    replied
    Originally posted by GhostofTarbera View Post

Thanks, I won't tell the story then about when I was working in Amsterdam and wondered why some lights had blue lights, that was frightening !!!
    https://amsterdamyeah.com/where-is-a...ight,walk%20fr om%20Amsterdam's%20Centraal%20Station.

Known as the Blue Light District, transgender sex workers are located within the city’s main Red Light District, an area also called ‘De Wallen’ which covers approximately 1 square kilometre.
    We know a song about that.

Leave a comment:

• GhostofTarbera
    replied
    Originally posted by Paralytic View Post

Remarkably, this is more believable that most of the stuff you post here
    Thanks, I won't tell the story then about when I was working in Amsterdam and wondered why some lights had blue lights, that was frightening !!!

Leave a comment:

• Eirikur
    replied
    Originally posted by GJABS View Post

Ah, the joys of wake turbulence. Pretty cool that you were allowed into the Class A airspace (as it then was) over central London - I'm jealous
    Oh, and with apologies to Stan Boardman: That Fokker was a Messerschmitt!
    Was late 1990's KLM was one of the few (if not the only) airlines using propeller aircraft to fly at LHR from Rotterdam and Eindhoven., The cool thing they usually parked at T4 next to Concorde and you had to walk over the tarmac to the terminal door so you had a very good view of them.

Leave a comment:

• xoggoth
    replied
    Originally posted by AtW View Post
    Couple of times when cojak gave me an infraction...
    Yeh. That so stressed me out I'm thinking of suing NAT for damage to my mental health.

Leave a comment:

• xoggoth
    replied
    Recall summit else mildly scary. I used to do sales support, giving technical presentations. Went to Indonesia with the head sales bloke and since he was the boss I left all the organisation to him. He went home early and I stayed to do some data gathering. He handed over our passports as we were required to and when I was due to go back had no idea where he'd left mine. Took me half a day enquiring around to locate it.

Leave a comment:

• Paralytic
    replied
    Originally posted by GhostofTarbera View Post
    Mexico City (told this at the time on PCG)

out having a few beers (out working with client co), me and the boss for a night out, get into a taxi to go to another bar, taxi stops at a green light, 2 large Mexican come in with guns, get our bank cards off us and ask for the pins, I give mine up in a heartbeat, but the boss says he cant remember, they start beating the hell out of him, he still says he cant remember, they say they will shoot me in the face if he cant remember, he calls his wife as she knows and gives it to him, that drive us up into the hills, strip us of absolutely everything and tell us to start walking, one of them shouts BANG and laughs and they drive off, 2 mins later a police car pulls up and asks for 500 dollars to run us back to town, we are in our socks - he drives off also, got a lift in the back of a farmers truck eventually. Workmates were very confused as why they did not just shoot us.
    Remarkably, this is more believable that most of the stuff you post here

Leave a comment:

• GhostofTarbera
    replied
    Mexico City (told this at the time on PCG)

out having a few beers (out working with client co), me and the boss for a night out, get into a taxi to go to another bar, taxi stops at a green light, 2 large Mexican come in with guns, get our bank cards off us and ask for the pins, I give mine up in a heartbeat, but the boss says he cant remember, they start beating the hell out of him, he still says he cant remember, they say they will shoot me in the face if he cant remember, he calls his wife as she knows and gives it to him, that drive us up into the hills, strip us of absolutely everything and tell us to start walking, one of them shouts BANG and laughs and they drive off, 2 mins later a police car pulls up and asks for 500 dollars to run us back to town, we are in our socks - he drives off also, got a lift in the back of a farmers truck eventually. Workmates were very confused as why they did not just shoot us.

Leave a comment:

• Andy2
    replied
    Once I checked into a hotel and found that there was no wi-fi
    That was proper scary.

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied
    Originally posted by Whorty View Post

The gloves I get, but why does she need to wear the full rubber cat suit?
    she needs some joy in her work

Leave a comment:

• Whorty
    replied
    Originally posted by vetran View Post

Nah she uses rubber gloves on us Cukkers!
    The gloves I get, but why does she need to wear the full rubber cat suit?

Leave a comment:

• vetran
    replied
    Originally posted by _V_ View Post

Infection?
    Nah she uses rubber gloves on us Cukkers!

Leave a comment:

• _V_
    replied
    Originally posted by AtW View Post
    Couple of times when cojak gave me an infraction...
    Infection?

Leave a comment:

• Whorty
    replied
    Originally posted by d000hg View Post
    I didn't know you COULD score 95!
    It was below 100 ... that's what the doc recorded. The next day it was over 150. As the steroids kicked in it went up quite quickly as the week progressed.

I have this one https://www.medisave.co.uk/miniwrigh...gaAgx0EALw_wcB

Just spotted that it's 750-850 range I normally score not 850-950 (from memory I thought the top was 950)

Haven't done a test recently as been pre-occupied, just tested and 750, 780, 780
    Last edited by Whorty; 23 February 2021, 15:11.

Leave a comment:

• d000hg
    replied
    I didn't know you COULD score 95!

Leave a comment:

• Whorty
    replied
    If we're doing medical then I had a massive asthma incident back in 2017 that should have put me in hospital and on oxygen but due to caring for Mrs W it was decided for her welfare I'd stay at home on steroids for a day or 2 to see if that sorted me (it did).

If anyone is familiar with the Peak Flow test, 'normal' for my age and height should be about 600; I was only able to blow 95. I bought myself a peak flow machine and test myself regularly now and I'm always 750 - 850 when well, so you can see how buggered my breathing was.

What's weird though is up until that experience I didn't know I had asthma. I'd had loads of attacks in the past but just assumed I wasn't as fit as I should be so would always push myself harder to get 'fitter'. This major asthma attack got me to the docs and a diagnosis. Who knew eh?

Not being able to breath and get oxygen in is not nice ... seeing covid patients now is very similar.
    Last edited by Whorty; 23 February 2021, 15:21.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X