• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

New Forum Bug Reports

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jamesbrown View Post

I don't like the way there isn't AI ban hammer for gricer sockies; it wouldn't require much intelligence to weed them out.
    If we binned all the sockies there would be about 6 people left on this site.
    merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Originally posted by eek View Post

If we binned all the sockies there would be about 6 people left on this site.
      In think you're saying we could have 6 contractors or 6 contractors + N schizophrenics, N >> 6. Hmmm, tough choice, but I'll go with 6.

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post

OK, been a few months since I checked out moving a thread and it seemed OK then; I'll have a look. I gather the thread ended up being moved correctly?

EDIT: ah no, it didn't. Will get on it straight away
        Right, that should be fixed now, but something went wrong with the thread move so I need to fix that. (Irritatingly, it Works On My Development Server.)

It's for things like this that I really wish I could hook up a debugger to the live site, but I'm not sure if admin would allow me to install Xdebug on here

Comment

Originally posted by Gould The Swimmer View Post
          Don't like the way you can't see the paging control of a tgread in mobile view. You have to go into the thread and then click to go to the last post.

Also the advanced search doesn't allow you to diplay resukts as posts and it doesn't order them. I like to ordee by date in descending order but that isn't happening.
          Originally posted by Gould The Swimmer View Post

Oh, I see. It's that funny fast forward icon.
          I'll be getting the paging back on thread lists as soon as I can. It's yet another thing that's a bit more complicated than it at first appears, if it's to be done properly, but it'll be along Real Soon Now.

There's a couple of problems with the search at the moment I think, but I'll look into the question of ordering results too.
          Last edited by NickFitz; 24 February 2021, 13:12.

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
            I'm curious, quite a lot of IT types run using Noscript or whatever, is the new forum is utterly unusable without all that guff? Or does it fall-back to something more old-fashioned?
            No, the one trend they didn't pick up on was Progressive Enhancement, so quite a few things are going to be broken without JS. On the bright side, a non-exhaustive list of things that were broken without JS before I intervened includes going to the second or subsequent pages of a thread, starting a new thread, and replying to a thread.

EDITED TO ADD: actually, that's a slight exaggeration; it looks like they did progressively "enhance" the pagination, so that still works. And it's possible posting would also work, though I have nothing to say on there at the moment so I've not tested it. But many things do depend on JS to function, or work fine as they are but then have JS attached that somehow manages to make them worse IMHO.
            Last edited by NickFitz; 24 February 2021, 13:18.

Comment

NickFitz, just wanted to let you know that every time i click the double-down arrow to take me to the "first unread post" on this thread, it takes me to your post from yesterday where you proudly proclaim the issue has been fixed. Just thought I'd let you know the Javascript libraries are trolling you.

No pressure

Comment

Breaking with convention...

Why upgrade the forum look? The past version was a simple, clean interface in which everything worked. This new one appears to be a nightmare by comparison with a very large amount of bugs. Is there any tangible benefit to upgrading that us layabouts don't ever see? Some mod benefit?

Comment

Originally posted by Paralytic View Post
                  NickFitz, just wanted to let you know that every time i click the double-down arrow to take me to the "first unread post" on this thread, it takes me to your post from yesterday where you proudly proclaim the issue has been fixed. Just thought I'd let you know the Javascript libraries are trolling you.

No pressure
                  It's been doing that to me too

Comment

Originally posted by agentzero View Post
                    Breaking with convention...

Why upgrade the forum look? The past version was a simple, clean interface in which everything worked. This new one appears to be a nightmare by comparison with a very large amount of bugs. Is there any tangible benefit to upgrading that us layabouts don't ever see? Some mod benefit?
                    Because the old forum was a security nightmare and should have been upgraded years ago.

merely at clientco for the entertainment

Comment

Not sure if this one has been done.

Notifications when quoted - now coming through but only if I look at my Message Centre. I would have expected the Notifications section on the top menu bar to show that there's a new notification, like when you get a PM. How else am I supposed to know what notifications I've got?

And...when I click on the notification, it provides a link to the thread containing the quote rather than the post containing the quote.

Comment

Working...
                      X