• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

3 years clear!

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

To combine two of the better current threads.

My (now) wife got the first bout around 14 years ago, 25% chance of survival. We got married, after 7 years of happily co-habiting, after she was over the worst of the Chemo

6 years, 1 year off the 'magic' 7 years, later she was diagnosed with a second bout 50% chance of survival. She has been in remission now for over 10 years.

I have never been happier and we now take full advantage of the 'Carpe Diem' mentality

Comment

I normally only give out bananas if people are "boomed" in the normal way (got a new gig). But I'll make an exception here, as it's obviously great news

Comment

Originally posted by NigelJK View Post
        To combine two of the better current threads.

My (now) wife got the first bout around 14 years ago, 25% chance of survival. We got married, after 7 years of happily co-habiting, after she was over the worst of the Chemo

6 years, 1 year off the 'magic' 7 years, later she was diagnosed with a second bout 50% chance of survival. She has been in remission now for over 10 years.

I have never been happier and we now take full advantage of the 'Carpe Diem' mentality
        Good for both of you. Yeah I'm like that now also slower to anger, apart from some of the software on the 'smart' TVs, its appaling, come don't be shy!
        But I discovered nothing else but depraved, excessive superstition. Pliny the younger

Comment

We tend to be a lot more cynical about the 'charities' that hang around the NHS, especially those that involve themselves in Cancer, taking credit for the excellent work they do.

I can see that, for some, they are a life line but for most it appears to be in big business mode ensuring they keep their jobs.

In all the years of treatments my wife was only ever upset once. That was when a McMillan nurse insisted she answer questions about things way outside of the treatment for 'closure'. The Oncologist happened to walk in when my wife burst into tears and consequentially 'banned' her from ever approaching any of his patients again.

Comment

Originally posted by NigelJK View Post
            We tend to be a lot more cynical about the 'charities' that hang around the NHS, especially those that involve themselves in Cancer, taking credit for the excellent work they do.

I can see that, for some, they are a life line but for most it appears to be in big business mode ensuring they keep their jobs.

In all the years of treatments my wife was only ever upset once. That was when a McMillan nurse insisted she answer questions about things way outside of the treatment for 'closure'. The Oncologist happened to walk in when my wife burst into tears and consequentially 'banned' her from ever approaching any of his patients again.
            Interesting you should say that, I feel the same about MS charities. Rachel volunteered for years to go on any and every drug trial and was turned down by every one. For over 25 years she had MS, and in all that time there was no cure, and no real forward progress. All that money the large charities bring in, and nothing to show for it.

And yet find an illness that the mega rich, politicians etc might get like CV19, and suddenly we can find a vaccine in record time.
            I am what I drink, and I'm a bitter man

Comment

Originally posted by Whorty View Post
              Interesting you should say that, I feel the same about MS charities. Rachel volunteered for years to go on any and every drug trial and was turned down by every one. For over 25 years she had MS, and in all that time there was no cure, and no real forward progress. All that money the large charities bring in, and nothing to show for it.

And yet find an illness that the mega rich, politicians etc might get like CV19, and suddenly we can find a vaccine in record time.
              I do suspect many large charities have become a business and tackling the disease is counter productive to its aims.

I and many others are very hopeful that the speed and breadth of the vaccine creation may speed up vaccines for other conditions.

Researchers develop mRNA vaccine to treat MS-like condition in mice | MS Trust

There has also been a massive amount of sequencing which the UK is leading which identifies the progress of mutations.
              Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Working...
              X