• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

That's not nice...

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

That's not nice...

What a miserable postman. Even in London people help you up. Luckily there was a Hermes driver around who actually lost money for helping the old lady.

Falkirk postman: Royal Mail worker suspended after refusing to help a pensioner who had fallen in the snow | Edinburgh News

Bainsford resident Patricia Stewart slipped on the snow on Thursday morning, banging her head.

Video footage from a neighbouring property captured the moment a postman walked away from her, saying “I can’t help you pal” adding that he had been working since early that morning.

Luckily, Hermes delivery worker Karoline Domska (22) was in the area and able to help, staying with Patricia and calling for aid.

Sheryl Harkin’s, Patricia’s niece, said: “When I was told about this I couldn’t believe it was true – I thought there must be some misunderstanding.

"The when I saw the video footage I was just disgusted.

"I can’t accept this – it's no way for someone to treat another human being.”

Patricia is now recovering at home with a head injury.

A representative from Royal Mail visited Patricia at her home on Farm Street to apologise for the incident.

It is understood the postman in question had been suspended pending an investigation

A spokesperson said: “Royal Mail expects the highest standards of behaviour from our people while out on deliveries and collections at all times.

We regularly remind our postmen and postwomen of the important role they play in their local communities.

“We were very sorry to learn about this incident, and for the distress this incident has caused.

“We have been in touch with the customer concerned to apologise and to inform them we are investigating this incident.”
    "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Unfortunately Royal mail don't hold high expectations of themselves as Employers according to many postmen over the years.

Its not good for the postman to behave in this way, how sure are we RM would have thanked him?
    Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Comment

We saw more of this in the early days of Covid, people unsure whether they were allowed to help a stranger or hurt child since it would mean touching them...
        Originally posted by MaryPoppins
        I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
        Originally posted by vetran
        Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

I have a pretty dim view of people as a whole so I expect the worst but this one appalled me. I get that some people just can't help in bad situations as they freeze up as I saw at the fatal accident outside my house last year. We aren't all built for it so fair enough. To walk away like this is beyond words. There should be a criminal charge associated with this. That person could have died and he should have been held culpable. No place for this in society at all.

I do wonder why the neighbour that filmed it didn't help though? Another sad curse on society is people willing to film stuff and not help.
          Last edited by northernladuk; 17 February 2021, 11:08.
          'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
            I have a pretty dim view of people as a whole so I expect the worst but this one appalled me. I get that some people just can't help in bad situations as they freeze up as I saw at the fatal accident outside my house last year. We aren't all built for it so fair enough. To walk away like this is beyond words. There should be a criminal charge associated with this. That person could have died and he should have been held culpable. No place for this in society at all.

There is no good Samaritan law in the UK and even the laws around reporting overdoses in the US are fraught with issues.
            Overdose “Good Samaritan” Laws Should Protect, Not Punish - Network for Public Health Law

These laws have further limitations as well. In at least a dozen states, the Good Samaritan is required not only to call for help but also to jump through additional hoops such as providing their full name to law enforcement, staying on the scene, and cooperating with responding officers. None of those requirements are necessary to help the person suffering from an overdose; all are likely to discourage people from calling for help.
            I, friends and family (individually & together) have all helped in similar situations but demanding that is probably a step too far.
            Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
              I do wonder why the neighbour that filmed it didn't help though? Another sad curse on society is people willing to film stuff and not help.
              Complaining about something online is a valid substitute for actually doing anything about it.
              Originally posted by MaryPoppins
              I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
              Originally posted by vetran
              Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post
                I, friends and family (individually & together) have all helped in similar situations but demanding that is probably a step too far.
                I agree it shouldn't be law but there should be some levels of decency applied and this is way past that. Tough call when it goes legal. In this case the public shame and losing his job should be OK but if the woman had died he should be held to account. Just one phone call to the services or asking someone else for help at the very least. His actions were beyond negligent.

Comment

Originally posted by d000hg View Post
                  Complaining about something online is a valid substitute for actually doing anything about it.
                  It appears so nowadays.

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post
                    Unfortunately Royal mail don't hold high expectations of themselves as Employers according to many postmen over the years.

Its not good for the postman to behave in this way, how sure are we RM would have thanked him?
                    Hermes is a worse employer as they don't even employ their delivery people and let them go if they don't do their deliveries on the right day.
                    "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Working...
                    X