• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Bitcoin

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So some magic beans are down or up, WGAF?

Comment

I was reading last week that Mastercard is planning to natively support crypto, but only within narrow parameters what they'll use. USDC(oin) was suggested as a likely first choice.
      But this is tied to USD as I understand it, which means there is no scope to speculate - so what is the point over using actual USD?
      Originally posted by MaryPoppins
      I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
      Originally posted by vetran
      Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Originally posted by AtW View Post
        So some magic beans are down or up, WGAF?
        First Law of Contracting: Only the strong survive

Comment

Bitcoin's estimated annual electricity consumption has increased around 30-fold since Jan 2016, from 4TWh/year to over 120TWh/year. Source:
          https://cbeci.org

Total worldwide annual electricity consumption is about 25,000 TWh/year. So, bitcoin currently only accounts for about 0.5%.

But if it kept on going up 30-fold every 5 years or so...

And at a time when we should be trying to reduce energy consumption.

Not exactly what you'd call sustainable.
          Scoots still says that Apr 2020 didn't mark the start of a new stock bull market.

Comment

This does seem more worrying than other objections I've heard. Is there any conceivable workaround, to a system which is designed around needing significant computational power? Are there currencies which come from a different direction than a computation 'arms race'?
            Originally posted by MaryPoppins
            I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
            Originally posted by vetran
            Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

How much does it cost to produce gold? Not declaring whether or not I have any crypto

Comment

Originally posted by administrator View Post
                How much does it cost to produce gold? Not declaring whether or not I have any crypto
                Gold mining is energy intensive, so probably quite a lot. (The $cost is very dependent on the price of oil.)

However, unlike bitcoin, I doubt the energy consumption is increasing much year on year.
                Scoots still says that Apr 2020 didn't mark the start of a new stock bull market.

Comment

Originally posted by administrator View Post
                  But how much gold have you got?
                  I am what I drink, and I'm a bitter man

Comment

Bitcoin will accelerate global warming
                    ban this damn thing already

Comment

Originally posted by Andy2 View Post
                      Bitcoin will accelerate global warming
                      ban this damn thing already
                      I can see a future full of renewable energy production and energy storage to make full use of it. This will make the energy argument redundant in the next decade. By that time BTC will either have gone to the moon or will be worth beggar all due to a better class of electronic token having come to the fore. How high will it go though? Too many variables and, like AtW said, too many "playas" who are rigging the market.

If anyone has any suggestions for stocks in renewable energy and energy storage feel free to shout...

Comment

Working...
                      X