• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

You will never get to EU heaven Guy

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by _V_ View Post
    Calling it the UK Kent virus variant makes it sound like it's something we have manufactured to unleash on the World.

If we called it the Wuhan variant, there would be uproar and charges of xenophobia.
    Boris apparently demanded a Union Jack be put on this variant as a symbol of 'Global Britain'
    When freedom comes along, don't PISH in the water supply.....

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
      Only if you're a tin-foil hat wearing moron who think it was manufactured by the Chinese to unleash on the world. To the rest of us, it's merely descriptive.

And why is anyone quote loonies like Roger Helmer or Paul Joseph Watson?

lets now quote these loonies!

Time to stop the use of ‘Wuhan virus’, ‘China virus’ or ‘Chinese virus’ across the scientific community | BMJ Global Health

In many areas of the world, phrases such as ‘Wuhan virus’, ‘China virus’ and ‘Chinese virus’ have been frequently used by laypeople, influential politicians and mass media to refer to the virus SARS-CoV-2 that caused the COVID-19 pandemic.1 Naming a virus after a geographic location or group of people is not unheard-of, for example, the Middle East respiratory syndrome (MERS) and the Legionnaires’ disease.2 However, having precedence is not a de facto justification for using these alternatives, as mentioned above, to SARS-CoV-2. Replacing SARS-CoV-2 with ‘Wuhan virus’, ‘China virus’ or ‘Chinese virus’ hinders the public’s understanding and perception of the novel coronavirus.
      Agree we should avoid labelling a virus by a geographic description. So no Kent or Wuhan virus.
      Always forgive your enemies; nothing annoys them so much.

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post
        lets now quote these loonies!

Time to stop the use of ‘Wuhan virus’, ‘China virus’ or ‘Chinese virus’ across the scientific community | BMJ Global Health

Agree we should avoid labelling a virus by a geographic description. So no Kent or Wuhan virus.
        The problem was that Trump politicised the whole pandemic, so Republicans were sneering about the Chinese plague, beforehand it was not an issue. We still call Spanish flu, Spanish flu, but that's because no-one used it to sneer at Spaniards.
        I'm alright Jack

Comment

You really are obsessed with the EU aren't you? It's an 'us' vs 'them' all the time for you. You also must think that those of us who voted remain are somehow supporters of all things EU, whatever they do, just as you are a fanatical supporter of the Tories whether they are right or not.

Very strange way to live your life. but, if it makes you happy then you carry on mate
          I am what I drink, and I'm a bitter man

Comment

Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post
            The problem was that Trump politicised the whole pandemic, so Republicans were sneering about the Chinese plague, beforehand it was not an issue. We still call Spanish flu, Spanish flu, but that's because no-one used it to sneer at Spaniards.
            The irony is that the "Spanish" flu actually originated in the US, I believe?

Comment

Anyone here think that the EU never screws up? Nope, me neither. Just another Brexiter fantasy.
              It is indeed a strange thing that Vetran does - constantly posting negatives about the EU as if that will trigger those who voted remain, presumably based on the false assumption that we support everything the EU does. Quite bizarre.

Comment

Originally posted by vetran View Post
                No unfortunately it is a reality, we missed a bullet there.

How they respond to a screw up normally shows the measure of an organisation. Do you think they are responding well?
                You keep pushing this lie ... we were still members of the EU via the transition period and we chose to not be part of the EU vaccine scheme; others could have done the same. In hindsight, strangely a correct decision by the Tories, but given how they fecked up the whole managing of the pandemic it was a bit of shutting the door after the horse had already bolted.

No, I don't think the EU is dealing with the vaccines well. But then, I'm not an EU fanboy.

Comment

Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post
                  It was useful early on to talk about wuflu. Later as it spread globally it didn't give any useful information. What we have now is

Covid-19:
                  Wuhan/Chinese variant
                  UK variant
                  Kent variant.
                  Brazil variant
                  S.A. variant.

Perfectly innocuous and nothing to get triggered by - whether you're woke, or slept. But Roger Helmer and Paul Joseph Watson are not loons because they insist on Chinese Virus or Wuhan Virus. Nor are they loons because their motivation is xenophobia. They were loons long before covid-19 came along, and using their quotes to support any argument is a bit dumb and show the bedfellows of the poster. If that's what mattser was doing, which isn't clear.
                  Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by mattster View Post
                    The irony is that the "Spanish" flu actually originated in the US, I believe?
                    Not known for sure but probably didn't come from Spain.

Why Was It Called the 'Spanish Flu?' - HISTORY.

While there are some extra risks in some countries, like these "wet markets", these things, or variants of them, can probably pop up anywhere.

PS Watch out for atW spreading something caught from squirrels.
                    PPS I ought to stop bonking lady pigs.
                    Last edited by xoggoth; 16 February 2021, 13:11.
                    bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
                    John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

They were loons long before covid-19 came along, and using their quotes to support any argument is a bit dumb and show the bedfellows of the poster. If that's what mattser was doing, which isn't clear.
                      Steady on! I was just trying to highlight his total hypocrisy. I think he's a loon too!

Comment

Working...
                      X