• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Women...

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Women...

...talk to much in meetings.

Mmm the meeting I'm currently in I can only hear blokes talking. One of the other women spoke no other women has yet bothered.

Tokyo 2020 chief pressed to resign after saying women talked too much at meetings | Tokyo Olympic Games 2020 | The Guardian

Yoshiro Mori, the head of the Tokyo 2020 Olympics organising committee, has apologised for making sexist remarks about “talkative” women in sports organisations, but said he would not resign.

Mori, a former Japanese prime minister with a history of demeaning remarks, told a meeting of the Japanese Olympic Committee (JOC) this week that meetings attended by too many women tended to “drag on” because they talked too much.

Referring to his time as chairman of the Japan Rugby Football Union, Mori said: “Women have a strong sense of rivalry. If one raises her hand to speak, all the others feel the need to speak, too. Everyone ends up saying something.”

He added: “If I say too much, the newspapers are going to write that I said bad things, but I heard somebody say that if we are to increase the number of female board members, we have to regulate speaking time to some extent, or else we’ll never be able to finish. I am not going to say who said that.”

“We have about seven women at the organising committee but everyone understands their place.”

At a hastily arranged press conference on Thursday, a “deeply remorseful” Mori acknowledged that his comments had been “inappropriate” and ran counter to the Olympic spirit.

But he added: “I am not thinking of resigning. I have been working hard and devoted myself to helping [the Tokyo Olympics] for seven years. I will not be stepping down.”

Asked why he had claimed that women talked too much at board meetings, he replied: “I don’t talk to women that much these days, so I don’t know.”

Accounts by Japanese media present at the online JOC meeting said several attendees laughed, but his comments were condemned by female politicians and sports administrators.

“His comments run counter to the spirit of Olympics that denounces discrimination and calls for friendship, solidarity and fairness,” Renho, a prominent opposition MP, tweeted.

Kaori Yamaguchi, a JOC director who has campaigned to raise the number of women in Japanese sports administration, accused Mori, 83, of undermining the Tokyo Games’ message.

“Gender equality and consideration for people with disabilities were supposed to be a given for the Tokyo Games,” she said, according to the Kyodo news agency. “It is unfortunate to see the president of the organising committee make a remark like that.”

“Mori, please resign,” was trending on Twitter in Japan on Thursday, while Noriko Mizoguchi, a former judo silver medallist, tweeted the International Olympic Committee’s code of ethics and said any form of harassment should be rejected.

Mori had earlier apologised for the “careless” remarks in an interview with the Mainichi Shimbun, but insisted he had not intended to demean women. He said he had been “scolded” by his wife, daughter and granddaughter
    "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Mori said: “Women have a strong sense of rivalry. If one raises her hand to speak, all the others feel the need to speak, too.
      Typical, one woman posts and another pops up to get her word in.
      England's greatest sailor since Nelson lost the armada.

Comment

First Law of Contracting: Only the strong survive

Comment

Originally posted by SueEllen View Post
          Talk to much what in meetings?

Comment

He is wrong. Women can talk for hours even without rivalry.

Comment

Mmm the meeting I'm currently in I can only hear blokes talking. One of the other women spoke no other women has yet bothered.
              You posted this while at a meeting??? I do wonder about some of you lot posting so much on here while you're supposed to be working.
              bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
              John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Originally posted by xoggoth View Post
                You posted this while at a meeting??? I do wonder about some of you lot posting so much on here while you're supposed to be working.
                Meetings are the only time I get to look at CUK

Comment

Originally posted by xoggoth View Post
                  I've much practise at doing the HoL pose so posting is nothing.
                  "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

I assume Yoshiro was talking mainly about Japanese people. It's entirely possible that that IS culturally how people behave there, it would not surprise me at all from the little Japanese cultural experience I have.
                    Originally posted by MaryPoppins
                    I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
                    Originally posted by vetran
                    Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Working...
                    X